Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good oud?
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 11:09 AM
Good oud?

This is the oud i bought, it was $300 new, with soft cover. I'm a beginner, so don't need something too expensive yet. Do you think the sound quality will be good on something like this? This is the description the gave me for it: The OUD4 is approximately 32 inches long, 14.5 wide, and 9 deep. The soundboard is a light colored wood that is left un-finished for better sound quality. The Sound-holes are lace-like. Around each sound hole on the soundboard are faux nacre mosaics. There is a dark decorated plate under the strings that protects the soundboard while the instrument is being played. The body and neck are stave construction with straight line inlays between the staves. There are eleven strings. The first course, of two strings, is nylon. The next three courses of two strings each are nylon wound. The last course of two strings and the final low string are nylon wound with copper. Each OUD4 is shipped in its own soft sided carrying case.
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-20-2003 at 08:31 PM
still awaiting answer

Hi, I'm still awaiting an answer about the new oud I just bought. I appreciate your help. Thanks :airguitar:
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 12-20-2003 at 08:41 PM

It is impossible to tell how it will sound from a picture and the description. Sorry.

The most important thing for you as a beginner is that the action (the height of the strings against the neck) is comfortable. The other thing that is important is that it stays in tune, and the pegs hold the note. These are things that you'll know when you get the oud. Congratulations on your new oud, and I hope you end up liking it.
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 12-22-2003 at 02:16 PM

Merc, any chance that you can get a sound file up? It doesn't have to be a melody or anything, just something to give us an idea of the sound. Unfortunately, dimensions don't tell us much about the sound of the oud. Looking forward to hearing it.

TP21

mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-22-2003 at 07:04 PM

hi, I haven't received the oud yet so I don't have any sound clips...i will post them as soon as I get it. Thanks
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 1-18-2004 at 02:08 AM

So how did the oud turn out?
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2004 at 07:25 AM

it was pretty good i think, i screwed up the strings on the first day though because i tuned it a little high so now i need a new set because i hear buzzing. It sounds pretty good though I think. It doesn't sound like $2k ouds but for a beginner its good. When I got the oud the last 2 string (thinnest) weren't aligned right, one from the pair was higher than the other, but i fixed that. Overall it was good.

Go To Top