Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Luthiery Machines---check these videos out
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-31-2006 at 01:21 PM
Luthiery Machines---check these videos out

Taylor Guitars

A while ago there was a friendly debate here about using power tools and jig/fixtures for oud making. Faruk Turunz posted some photos of some of his fascinating jigs and fixtures, and I've posted some of mine too. A friend sent me this link, which illustrates just how far one can go with machinery and luthiery. I'm sure this will spark some debate again. I'm still debating with myself whether or not I would want an oud built in a factory like this.

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-31-2006 at 07:14 PM

These videos are great Jameel. As far as bending wood goes, this pretty much has nothing to do with sound quality. So why not try to make the process easier and quicker?

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 5-31-2006 at 09:41 PM

Still you have to agree that this pretty much takes out the "ART" part of making an instrument... seems like my kid sister could make a guitar with this equipement around... Did you see the braces fitting section.? I kind of makes you wonder how they can justify charging so much for a guitar when its basicaly slaped togheter with pretty much no effort.
Somehow I feel like a oud produced in that mather would lack personality....
just my tought...
AGAPANTHOS
Oud Addict

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 02:28 AM

Hello Jameel,

All these are very expensive,spectacular and fascinating equipment that fit the needs of an industrial activity and business and not the needs of an artisanal small workshop.They are very useful for the development of a high degree of the standardisation of a long serie of production.We always are in need of sophisticated jigs, fixtures and devises but most of them are constructions made in our artisanal workshops, mostly from wood or other easy handled materials, in order to satisfy a certain degree of standardisation and to facilitate the control of the quality of the instrument making materials.
The sound of the instrument counts most of all and that is certainly not a function of this very fancy equipment.

regards
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
These videos are great Jameel. As far as bending wood goes, this pretty much has nothing to do with sound quality. So why not try to make the process easier and quicker?

I'm all for it Mike. But you know how many ouds I would have to sell to pay for a machine like this?? Well, if you're buying......:D

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SamirCanada
... I kind of makes you wonder how they can justify charging so much for a guitar ...

To pay for this equipment is my guess. On an up note, one is getting a precisely made good quality instrument. The personality could come from the inconsistency in the woods within the same kind.

Go To Top