Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: tuning
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 03:02 AM
tuning

dear all - i picked up a nice little tip off the "guitar noise" site about how best to tune an instrument. having followed this advise, i no longer have trouble keeping an instrument in tune. instead of winding the entire string onto a peg (which i used to do...being rather proud of all the mess up top) i now thread the string through the hole in the peg, give it less than two fingers width worth of slack, twist the excess part of string around the useful part a couple of times and slowly begin turning the peg. this creates a crimp in the string from which the desired note can be quickly obtained. instead of covering it over with layers and layers of excess string and letting it float on an uncertain pile, the note is fixed and is more likely to stay that way.

to most of you this was probably obvious from the very first but people like me require patience and lots and lots of time...
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 07:32 PM

I am not sure I understand. Are you saying to wrap some excess around the part that goes in the hole of the shaft (between hole and the nut) before tightening the peg? In other words, there's a "knot like" reinforcement on the peg. I am I right, or way off?
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 1-7-2004 at 01:09 AM

dear sam - right you are; thread the string through the peg hole, leave a bit of slack (less than two fingers), wrap the excess portion a couple of times around that part of the string which will produce a sound and slowly begin turning the peg. the person i got this advise from said that this proceedure, coupled with years of experience and an untold amount of fresh, very expensive strings will make you an expert.
keep twisting (boogety-boogety-boogety-shoo) - bill

Go To Top