Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Price of ouds vs. lutes
DJdog
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 07:52 PM
Price of ouds vs. lutes

I've been looking for a six course renaissance lute, and in the process, I've discovered that a really fine lute costs almost double what the same quality of oud would be. For instance, I can get a really wonderful professional oud for $1,500. The same quality of renaissance lute would cost from $2,200 to $2,800. Does anyone have an idea why this is? I mean...they're basically the same instrument...right?
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 01:47 AM

Here's the factors that I think could be influential.

Probably because more people that play oud.
And most of the players are middle-eastern so the prices reflect the buying power of those who buy the majority of the instruments.
The makers of the lutes work in countries where you need more money to survive then in the arab world.
Also,1500$ for them is something they could not dream of spending on a oud. This amount of money represents to the oud maker much more money then the 2800$ of a lute maker in europe.
Having gathered some information on lute makers... it seems like they work on a verry low scale (wich represents the demand for the instrument) and they dont seem like they live entirely of there work. A oud maker like Yaroub or Maurice even Nazih Ghadban they can live by making, repairing and selling ouds.

The two are not exactly the same instrument in terms of sound etc... but I would think the time and effort to build both in equal quality around the same. So thats the only reasons I can think of for the price difference.

Take care Stephen Basha
hope all is well with you fella

Go To Top