Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: advice for picking out an oud
kevin
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 10:18 AM
advice for picking out an oud

hi. this is really a great forum, having been in and out of various groups, it is always refreshing to come across one that is what it says it is.

anyway, you've probally seen me nosing around, i want an oud. Having had a turkish cumbus & bowed tambur for a number of years and also since I've recently joined a turkish band, I realized it was time to make the big purchase. I've poked around, (maybe not enough), but despite the really great amount of information here & there, I'm still not sure what the difference is between the various qualities of instruments.

Aside from obvious flaws, crack & such, what signals a 'bad' oud. What is standard and good for an oud? - (I see there is different wood choices, some being traditional, ect) - but what makes an oud exceptional? Since I don't have to the damn good luck of having 10 ouds to try out all at the same time like i do for guitars- i'm hoping I can rule out the obvious (or not so obvious).

thanks a million & keep taksiming! kevin
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 01:09 AM

I don't believe there's much of a standard in picking out an oud. By the way, welcome to the forum. As far as the wood goes, I've heard that the wood used on the back of the oud doesn't make much difference (I prefer ebony, but that becomes a bit pricey). I think the best thing is to determine what kind of sound you want from your oud first, then go searching.

For example, when I asked for an Arabic oud, I wanted to make sure that it had an incredible bass and didn't swallow the sound. Some people prefer the tighter sound. It's up to you. Play as many ouds as you can first, and see which fits YOUR style best.

As far as more specifics go, there are quite a number of people here who have built their own ouds, and I'm sure they'll answer you soon.

TP21

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 1-11-2004 at 09:46 AM

1. The pegs fit snugly, don't slip or stick so you can tune the oud reliably. This is the most common fault, if you can't tune it you won't play it.
2. The neck alignment must be such that the strings are between 1/8 and 3/16 inch high at the neck/ body joint. Lower and it will buzz, higher and it will be difficult to play.
3. Tone is a personal preference and is all over the place. Ususally, Turkish ouds (small) are brighter, and Arabic ouds (large) are deeper.
4. Quality is not cheap. Ouds bought for less than $600 are likely to have or soon develop problems. You can get a good oud for this money if you travel to the mideast, know where to go and who to buy from. Good luck

Richard
http://www.droud.com

Go To Top