Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for beginner Oud
Aida
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2006 at 01:13 AM
Looking for beginner Oud

Hello!
I had my first oud lesson today! I came to the forum looking for an oud. I am a lebanese american oriental dancer who has had a knee injury and am taking up oud so I can have an alternative musical outlet while my knee heals. I am also excited about singing and learning maqamat and being able to play some of my favorite songs.
After reading through many of the posts, I visited Haluk's website as well as Sukar's.
While I am much more familiar with Arabic music, I am entertaing a turkish Oud because of the quality of beginner level instruments and the size. I found the circulation of my right arm being cutoff trying to reach around the arabic oud today. (could also be my total lack of technique and tenseness, I am a complete beginner)
I am interested in an experienced persons viewpoint on both manufacturers lower end ouds, and if anyone has any idea about how long it would take to get an instrument from Haluk and/or Sukar? I did notice that Sukar's site was almost completely arabic and was wondering if he is in Lebanon?
Thanks
Branko
Oud Junkie

Mood: !?

[*] posted on 8-1-2006 at 01:59 AM

Shukar is in Syria. Another affordable quality oud maker from Syria is Samir Azar check http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=3459

Ich bin ein Balkaner!
MARTAN
Oud Addict

Mood: LOOKING FOR NEW HORZIONS

[*] posted on 8-1-2006 at 06:49 AM

Aida hi
re Begginers oud I purchsed mine last Dec from order it through the nett in took about a month as he did not have one in stock .RECEIVED IN PERFECT CONDITION and given me lots of joy and headaches trying to marster this instrument Anyway ill muster on and keep my head down and maybe one day ill produce somthing worth listing to:airguitar:
Good luck anyway
Martin (EILAT)
PS I PAID 350 $ USA GREAT VALUE FOR THE MONEY SPENT
MARTAN
Oud Addict

Mood: LOOKING FOR NEW HORZIONS

[*] posted on 8-1-2006 at 07:12 AM

Aida sorry
I omitted that I purched my oud from Haluk ..A GREAT GUY TO DEAL WITH
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-1-2006 at 08:16 AM

I love the sound of Sukar Ouds... they are just amazing arabic sounding.
I just wanted to point out something. I dont know if its absolutely essential to wrap your arm around the back of the oud. Being a women your arms might not accomodate it easily. Maybe your teacher has been tought to always place his arm in this position in the old school teachings (ala Ryadh Sombati). But Idealy you have to be comfortable.

Just a peice of advice from a fellow Lebanese Canadian
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 07:00 AM

Hi Aida,

Order a bit smaller oud - there are different sizes, well, the difference is not so big, but for me, as a small (?) women, it is much easier to play smaller instrument. Than, as Samir say, you will be able to find more comfortable position.
Good luck,
:wavey:
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 08:20 AM

Hello oud lovers,

I produce child and woman size smaller ouds beside the normal size ouds.
Child size has 40 cms. bowl, width 30 cms.,neck lenght 16 cms.,string lenght 48 cms.
Woman size has 48 cms. bowl,width 36 cms.,neck lenght 18 cms.,string lenght 56 cms.,depth 18 cms.
I have a large stock of half produced ouds from every size.It is possible to finish and send in 7-10 days when ordered.
Mechanical guitar tuners for professional models, oud-3,oud-4 and oud-1 as the request of the customers.

Regards all.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
sam81dc
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-13-2006 at 05:15 PM

Hi,

I got some nices ouds that would work for you, Please contact me if you are interested.

thanks,

Go To Top