Printable Version  
Author: Subject: question re 1st oud
omoelegua
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 03:18 AM
question re 1st oud

hi

I am ready to purchase my first oud to pursue a study of the instrument & I was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions:

> are the ouds made by Haluk Eraydin of decent enough performance quality? in comparison with those made by Ahmet Gokce? Haluk's has a very attractive price ($380), around $400 less than Ahmet's; what are the trade-offs here?

> what is the incidence of damage during shipping of an oud? what guarantees or options do I, the buyer, have in case of this?

> Does anyone have any experiences w/ this oudmaker and his products they'd like to share?

Even with shipping charges, Haluk's oud seems the most affordable for my budget...is this a good value oud I can learn on and play for at least 3-4 years?

Thanks everyone for your help!
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 09:10 AM

I have the beginner oud by Haluk, which was $300. I'm not sure if it's the same oud you're talking about but I think it's definately good enough to perform on. You will probably want to install a good set of strings if it's the beginner oud... mine were decent enough but there was a big difference when I put on new strings.

My oud was shipped in large wooden crate and it arrived in perfect condition. I believe the packages are insured but you should ask Haluk to be certain. Mine was delivered by the USPS..

It's hard to say if the oud will last you 3-4 years. IMO that's too long to stay on a beginner instrument if you are going to take playing seriously. That said, I don't think you're going to become dissatisfied with the oud over time. You may just start wanting something with more volume, projection, nicer woods, etc.
omoelegua
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 11:22 AM

Thank you Jason. I keep hearing about 'more volume, projection' w/ ouds; are they inherently soft-sounding.....are they (the beginner ouds anyway)softer than acoustic nylon-stringed Spanish guitars? do ouds have something like an f-hole or soundhole for resonance? And, I've been playing guitar for years...what's the learning curve for the oud like? Thanks much!
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 05:12 PM

I would say my oud is similar to the volume of most classical guitars. I've heard some people say removing the rosettes in ouds helps the volume. Most ouds have 3 soundholes, one large and two small which have rosettes in them. Lots of makers today leave out the rosettes, however.

I've played a lot of fretless bass and upright bass over the years so the learning curve as far as intonation wasn't too bad for me. I'd say that if you have a good ear you won't have much problem either. The real difficulty is in learning to play eastern music because it's so different from everything I've played before.
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 06:15 PM

I will make ouds without rosettes when requested.I never tried on ouds but I let some sazs without rosette,sounds were more louder.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top