Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: inlay or not to inlay?
nadir
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-15-2004 at 01:45 AM
inlay or not to inlay?

i was just wondering if inlay affects the sound quality of the oud if it is put on the fingerboard and/or the face of the instrument? also, would the material used (ivory, mother of pearl,...) for inlay affect the sound as well?
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-15-2004 at 07:59 AM

That's a good question Nadir. There was a nice discussion about this on the Oud Home Page Message Board awhile ago. Personally, I like a little inlay on the edge of the fingerboard, and I like wood in wood inlay. Check out Jameel Abraham's oud gallery to see a cool inlay design on the edges of the fingerboard and perimeter of the face.

Rufi
Oud Addict

Mood: Knowlege seeker

[*] posted on 1-15-2004 at 02:01 PM
Inlay

In my opinion Mother of pearl and abalone inlay can be good or bad. It all depends on how it is done. The Problem that people have with it is that it is a heay material, calcium carbonate. It weighs like a stone. If the Inlay Is too thick it will be heavy and in the top of an oud weight is critical. Ivory is also very heavy and dense as bone is too. When I inlay an oud I am very careful to make sure that it is thin enough as to not weigh down and choke the vibrations. The fingerboard is a different story.
The problem with inlay in the fingerboard of a frettless Instrument is that many inlay materials are harder than the wood that they are inlayed into. so over time the wood wears quicker than the inlay and you develop problems with buzzing. you can level the finger board to over come this problem but if you sand to much you sand through the inlay and thats no good either.
I like to make my fingerboards out of hard materials like ebony to help avoid this problem. all Fingerboards need to be replaced some time so keep this in mind too. peace Be Rufi
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-16-2004 at 12:49 AM

thank you SO MUCH for this advice, i've actually found an oud that has an inlay of wood (but im not sure what it is... the color is gray though, it's beautiful!) anyways, thanks again for the advice!
Adel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-20-2004 at 06:38 AM
Inlay

I agree with you Rufi,
Too much inlay will kill the sound of the oud, and it makes it both impossible and very expensive to repair.
The best ouds that I came across in my life as an oud player, has been very simple ouds in the design, I take an example of Al Sunbaty and Al Qasabjy ouds.
The best Nahats I have seen and played have no decoration.
Salamat,
Adel

Go To Top