Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: My first oud, almost completed...
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 06:11 AM

Samir is right, play the oud! And play it with vigor. When I brought my oud back from California a couple weeks ago, it was probably played more in those couple days than I played it in 6 months, and it mellowed and took on a rich quality that was incredible. The low end took on this round warm sound. It's so important I think to introduce this energy to the oud in order for it to open up. My oud, a year old now, sounds much different than it did when new.

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by marzinp
I believe you, Doc, I was just wandering... because I noticed the change in guitars sound when you finish the top: it becomes much less dry and softer. I understand it's not what you want with ouds. What do you think about the sound of mine? Paulo says it's a matter of time (face is italian spruce)...
I think the sound is very good for a brand new oud. The most you can accomplish as a builder is to get the strings to all have the same volume, which is determined by the bracing. Your oud sounds very balanced, so you've done a great job with th soundboard.. The quality or color of the tone is determined by the characteristics of the wood used in the soundboard and braces, and over time it will change as others have noted. Italian Spruce (Picea Abies) is known to take longer to mature than Engleman spruce or cedar, taking as much as a few years depending on the age of the piece you used. You'll notice each time you change strings that the tone gets more mellow and full, and gains some sustain as well. Part of this is due to the drying out or aging of the face, and a large part is due to the conditioning of the wood as it is vibrated by the strings. You should be proud of your first effort as I am to have had a part in assisting you. The thrill of hearing that first sound will come again with every oud you make, and as your oud ages and the tone mellows I know you'll be even more pleased with it as time goes by. Great job! Completed ouds

Mazin
Oud Lover

Mood: respect to all

[*] posted on 12-15-2006 at 09:58 AM

Great job. Thanks for the pics. As our respecful friends said, most dryness of the sound is due to new strings. I would love to see your next oud step by step. COGRATULATION.

Maz :applause:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top