Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Figured wood and oud backs
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-20-2004 at 06:52 AM
Figured wood and oud backs

I'm at the earliest stages of my next ud project. I have obtained some highly figured Black Cherry that I would like to use for the back. For all you oud builders out there, what is your opinion. I know that figured wood can be a bit unstable sometimes. But then again, violins are almost all figured maple. I would appreciate your opinions. I'll also post up some shots of the wood today.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-20-2004 at 10:27 AM

The wood

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-20-2004 at 03:03 PM

Hey Jameel,

I'm really looking forward to following your project man. I was addicted to your site when you were doing your first oud bud. That wood looks funky my friend, but then again, you've seen my ebony with yellow streaks. It took me awhile to get used to that look, but it's my favorite oud!

Good luck,
Mike

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-20-2004 at 05:00 PM

Thanks Mike. I know you were my #1 fan!

It is some of the most wild wood I've seen. That's what worries me. Those curly patterns come from waves of directional changes in the grain, and I'm afraid that when I start bending it, it won't cooperate. Or worse the back could get out of shape after the oud is built!

So here's another question for everyone. Soundwise, what wood (for the back) was the best oud you ever played made from?

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 1-21-2004 at 04:52 AM

Dear friend Jameel,
the ouds that I did played and I really liked them was made : Turkish{Pallisander,pallisander with wallnut,wallnut with padok,wenge with Padok]
Arabic types[wallnut,pallissander,wenge with padok]
But I prefer the pallisander and the wallnut generally....But as you know this is only 20-30 % of the quality of the sound.....all the art is on the soundboard and on the braces.....there is the magical point....the ''G"" point ;)
hehehehe,that's why it took me 2 years to make my own turkish lady.....my new oud I believe that it will be a very good sound oud.....and it looks good too with marquetry.....but I always am interresting first of all for the sound.....
Regards my friend:wavey:

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-21-2004 at 05:17 AM

I believe that it will be very dificult because is very wild .....try to find a wallnut piece my friend.....is very very good....I like it very much,and is very easy to work with.....

Rufi
Oud Addict

Mood: Knowlege seeker

thumbup.gif posted on 1-21-2004 at 09:15 AM
figured wood

Jameel, Cherry like maple is a very stable wood. however when it is cut on the slab and highly figured it does demand more attention especially when bending. it will tend to have weak spots that will want to bend too much and stiff ones that are harder to bend right next to each other. You can do it but I highly recomend using a form in this case. If the grain was vertical you would have an easier time.
as far as cherry sounds. some of my favorite guitars are made with cherry back and sides. It is a very clear and even sounding tone wood with even order harmonics, I love it and can't wait to see what you do with it.
Respect and Regards from Rufi
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-21-2004 at 09:49 AM

jameel, i think that when the oud is completed, the newly furnished wood will turn out to be beautiful!!

keep it up! :buttrock:
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-21-2004 at 01:17 PM

Dear friend Jameel,the wood that I see is very wild brother......how will be the waters-lines of the ribs my friend?you have to give the shape....will they rezist?
It is very dificult........
Good luck:wavey:

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-21-2004 at 01:34 PM

Thanks Rufi and Nader.

Rufi--I think I might save this wood for another project and use a more stable peice. I want this oud to be simple, so I can make it more quickly. I think this Cherry will cause me problems.

Spyros,

I don't understand what you mean by waters-lines?

What do you all think of a wood called Jatoba? (Also called Brazilian Cherry). Ever seen an oud made from it?

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-21-2004 at 01:47 PM

the direction of fibres of the wood.....it has to be lined.....that is a principle for the choose of the wood ..... and I believe it,I respect that....
My friend I don't know that,but my last one oud....my new turkish made by Dimitris is made of red brazilian pallisander and white[gold] african pallisander [amazakoue]....and I am veeeeeeeeryyyyy satisfated...:)
if you have the msn messenger we can discus directly about that.....You know how much I respect you and I consider you as a good friend of mine....
Mike saw the oud and Mavroudis has listen it....he told me that he will order one after the surian type that he is waiting by Dimitris....he liked very much.....I am very proud about this oud......My teacher wants to order one too....the 3 one....hehehe
The oud is based on the great Manol,and the art of Dimitris's too....I believe that is a very good instrument.....the best I ever had untiil today and I ever played...and is very comon and in the sound too,not only the aspect with the ''Manol's''' oud of my teacher's wichone is made in 1905,and one day if I will be very good I will have the honour to come and this one to my hands....:bowdown:
Regards and respect my friend:wavey:

Go To Top