Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Turkish Oud
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-26-2004 at 05:52 AM
Turkish Oud

Salam

I heard that Turkish Oud are hard to maintain-is that true? Any tips regarding maintaining the unfinish soundboard?

Thanks

Zul
Alan
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mellow Yellow

[*] posted on 1-26-2004 at 11:17 AM

No harder to maintain than any other oud. As far as the unfinished sound board, if it bothers you that it can get dirty wear long sleaves and always wash your hands before playing. You can make an arm cover by taking an athletic sock and cuting the foot part off so you can wear on your arm were it contacts the oud face. I just make sure my hands are clean.
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-26-2004 at 08:07 PM

Thanks for your advice Alan-does using eraser really can remove any oil mark produced by our arms while paying?
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 1-27-2004 at 01:14 AM

Zul my friend,live it as it is......:)
I think that is nothing wrong if it has your signs on it.......There are many hours of exercising:airguitar:
regards to all:wavey:

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2004 at 03:47 AM

Agreed!!

Thanks for the advise!
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 07:18 PM

Hi guys :)

I heard that you can have the soundboard of turkish oud coated...to leave it plain is very traditional...any comment?

Regards

Zul
***Im not sure whether to leave my turkish oud plain or coated as sugested by the oud builder :rolleyes:
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 09:45 PM

As far as keeping an unvarnished top clean, a light buffing with #0000 steel wool will remove most marks (always with the grain), although a little darkening from the oils in your hand/arm is probably inevitable.
you know, it's a lot easier to have a finish put on the soundboard than to have it taken off, so maybe try it the traditional way first, and have it varnished later if you decide it's necessary.
Al Billings
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 07:06 AM
Turkish Oud

Both Brian and Spyros have valid ponts of view. A gentle cleaning with very fine steel wool is effective, but if you do it on a regular basis you run the risk of thinning the top and causing yourself problems, and constantly cleaning it could become a bad habit. Stains acquired by hard practice and performing are honourable stains. If the top doesn't clean easily, best to leave it alone. I come from the "raw" top school of thought. I believe the oud sounds best when the top is left unfinished. And I would think that trying to varnish the top could be a tricky and delicate operation. Put too much finish on it and the top will be less responsive. My Egyptian oud came with a thick shellac coating on its top, and no matter where along the strings I picked it all sounded the same. When I removed the shellac, the oud had more dynamics, softer over the soundhole, sharper by the bridge, and as the top has dried and seasoned, it's gotten to sound better and better. I think that how you care for the oud has much to do with keeping it clean. If it sits out in a room all the time, dust gathers on the top, and atmospheric grease and toxins adhere to it and create a tough film. If an oudi wants a clean oud, then it's best to keep it in its case when not in use. I have found that keeping the dust off of the top helps to stop that layer of crud from developing. I use a can of compressed air, like we use to clean PCs, and blow the dust away from the top and pegbox regularly. This seems to help.
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 09:01 AM

....I believe that there is one more solution.....Get an oud with long fingerboard.....;),
Really,we have to understand that the oud represents our self....all the signs of our character can be foun on our ouds.....from the way that we play,untill the aspect of it.....what do you think about that?:cool:
Regards to all....
Zul,don't bother man,I am sure that they that really know about the oud,they will understand and appreciate your work on it....:applause:

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 08:17 AM

Hi guys

Thanks for all the tips! Actually I dont really bother about those marks but the reason that I ask regarding the unfinish soundboard is bcoz I need to find out if doing so does alot of effect to the sound (turkish sound) or the age will last longger.

Anyway those tips posted are really usefull for future referance-thanks again!

Salam

Zul
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 02:36 AM
dirts on ouds

Dear friends,
I have a long experience on music instruments produce.I don't believe to cover soundboard with varnish will hazardeous for sound.I have varnished in 1980 my longneck saz,for to prevent my customers' dirts.In a 15 minutes playing,the soundboard was looking old.I have varnished,the sound was great.Than I have varnished my all products.After my varnish,Istanbul Consevatoire Music Department published a little book for Teachers' schools.I have seen on that book ''to cover the soundboard of instruments with a oilless varnish,will useful for to prevent damages from outside''. Now,all sazs' soundboards covered by varnish in Turkey and if you designed well, the sound is great.I have also varnished my friends ouds' soundbords and the result was excellent. We have produced and sent varnished soundboarded ouds in past ten years to our customers who are living in hot countries.Varnish should be very thin.You can clean dirts by alcohol with a soft cloth when necessary.
Now,I am working on a new shineless varnish type for soundboards,currently.
I don't like dirty musical instruments.

Regards all.

Haluk Eraydin(halukeraydin@hotmail.com)
ERAYDIN SAZEVI LTD.www.eraydinsazevi.com.tr:)

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 03:11 PM
Quality Turkish ouds for sale

I have handmade Turkish ouds made of precious woods such as wenge,juniper, rosewood,purple rosewood,padouk, maple,walnut and mahagony woods. Soundboards made from spruce wood from high plateaus of Black Sea area-TURKEY.
I am attaching some photos of ouds.

Regards.

Haluk ERAYDIN

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 04:17 AM

Is that a shisha? :)) Just Kidding
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 08:15 AM

You know where I can find a shisha with the shape of an Oud Multi Kulti?

Thanks for helping!
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 11:00 AM

Why are you offensive Zulkarnain?

I wrote that im kidding...is that to difficult to understand?

Nikos
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 01:21 AM

Hi

I notice theres a curve (sinking) area-near the bridge till around the scratch plate of a soundboard of a Turkish Oud-is it normal or something traditional the way turks build an Oud?

The oud is brandnew with new strings and in standard tuning (arabic)

Thanks for helping.

Salam

Zul
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2004 at 08:13 AM

Salam

The bridge also leaning alil bit forward (rather than sitting in straight position)

Is that also consider normal for Turkish oud?

Thanks

Go To Top