Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Professional oud on ebay
mawoud
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 11:19 PM
Professional oud on ebay

Hi everybody,
I was able to investigate on the oud maker in question, Bahaa Mjaes and I got some information.
The oud maker is also a great Conservatory musician, an oud teacher and also a violin repairsman. He accompanied for several years the great lebanese singer Majida Al Roumi which is one of the most famous female singer not only in Lebanon but also in the Arab world. Some of his ouds are played by great lebanese singers such as Wael kfoury. I also learned that he, at the contrary of other oud makers, does not like to give away for free his ouds to famous musicians or singers, just for the sake of promoting himself. He inherited this art of making ouds from his late father Khairalla Mjaes. He has been making ouds for 27 years now, he is only 45 years old. He doesn't mass produce ouds but he only makes one oud at a time upon request and it takes sometimes more than a month to complete the work of just one oud. His ouds prices starts at $900 not including shipping from lebanon.
Hope that this information helped a little in getting to kowing the oud maker. I listed the oud on ebay for those who are interested. You can see the auctioin under the link below:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Professional-Lebanese-Oud-Excellent-workmanship...

For those who just want to see the pictures of the oud, you can go to the link below:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/555091734HHROPd
hani1969
Oud Admirer

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:15 PM

Could we hear a sound clip, or better yet, post a video to youtube.
Also, by the way, some of the strings, the high and low C, seem to be tied to their pegs on the outside of the pegbox - why is that?
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:22 PM

Hey mawoud,

Thank you for providing more background information on the builder. What you have to keep in mind is that for people buying ouds online, its very hard to be sure of quality when the maker is not very well known. Me personally, I would not buy a oud for $1000 without seeing it unless the maker comes very well recommended.

For your oud, it would be good to post a video on the forums and have others comment on if they've heard of the maker.
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:35 PM

I agree. I don't think anyone is being "snobby" in their lack of interest but, as a builder we may not be familiar with, it would be unwise to spend so much money on an oud. Sounds and videos always help.
mawoud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 03:57 PM

Thanks guys for your feedbacks.
For Hani1969, I'm not a oud player but a oud seller. I'm selling this oud for a friend who is a oud collector. I forwarded your question and he said that the way the strings are tied is an advanced way that makes tuning easier.
To everybody who asked me about providing a video or sound clip. Sorry but I'm not a oud player first, second I don't have the equipment to do so.
You guys are right when you say that it's hard to buy an expensive oud if the oud maker is not well known. The ideal thing would be to do is to see the oud for yourself and play it... that's if you are in the New York city area.
The oud is again is in perfect shape, well made, flawless with great workmanship. Any oud with those qualities don't go for less than $800. This oud is worth much more. I guarantee every word I'm saying.
Thank you
Butrous
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 03:49 PM
Baha Mjaes

I just saw this oud on ebay. Wow, a beautiful instrument.

I studied Arabic music in Lebanon. The oud maker Baha Mjaes is well know among professional musician and instructors at the National Conservatory and at the University of the Holy Spirit in Kaslik.

You have to be on the inside track to know about quality instument makers like Mr. Mjaes(Mujahis?). He only makes a few instruments a year, not like Ibrahim Suker who produces 100's of ouds a year in a workshop.
mawoud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 09:42 AM

Thanks Butrous for the extra information.
It makes me feel good to see a good oud maker getting some attention. We should all encourage them and make them shine like stars between us because to me people that are able to produce such a beautiful instrument, the oud, with attention to details and with good qualities are stars after all.
Happy Holidays everybody.
The link to see the oud on ebay is below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Professional-Lebanese-Oud-Lute-Great-workmanshi...
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 11:14 AM

yeah that is a nice piece of work- I love the sunk-in look around the sound hole- my ghadban has a similar technique- love it-

tarik
farid
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-26-2006 at 05:25 AM

in what kind of wood is it (bowl, fingerboard, bridge, top,pickguard) ?
mawoud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-26-2006 at 09:34 AM

Hi,
The bowl is walnut, the top is aged spruce. The pegs are ebony but I really don't know what type of wood are the pickguard and the bridge.
Hope that helps.

Go To Top