zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 12-15-2006 at 01:34 PM
Amos Hoffman "Na'ama"

Amos Hoffman
Na'ama
Magda

Amos Hoffman is one of the most accomplished guitar players on the small Israeli jazz scene, and has also played the oud since he was eight. Brief snippets of his oud playing have previously been heard on the recordings of Israeli bass player Avishai Cohen and the 3 Cohens.

Hoffman began to study the oud while living in New York alongside Lebanese teacher Bassam Saba, an associate of Palestinian player Simon Shaeen. Na'ama, named after Hoffman's daughter, is his second solo release after The Dreamer (Fresh Sound, 1999), and is built on original compositions, most of them referencing traditional Arabic maqams or scales.

Unlike Youssef, Hoffman doesn't try to discover new musical territory, but still, his unassuming and straightforward playing finds new colors in the oud. The tender accompaniment of bass player Omer Avital and percussionist Rea Bar Nes, the latter especially while playing the marimba, offers Hoffman great flexibility. On the captivating ”Na'ama,” Hoffman and Bar Nes improvise on a simple lullaby melody, while on “Longa Abu Musa” they stretch the traditional form of the longa into a swift run of solos.

The twelve short tracks on Na'ama don't deviate to a significant degree from traditional oud playing or tune structures, but they showcase a highly gifted player, who successfully combines his Western musical education with one of his homeland's musical traditions.

Tracks and Personnel

Na'ama

Tracks: Third King; Takasim Nahawand; Samai Nahawand; Kiryat HaYovel; Na'ama; Takasim Higas; Takasim Rast; Samai Siga; Longa Abu Musa; Takasim Rayat; Shargia; Lonely Sands.

Personnel: Amos Hoffman: oud; Joshua Levit: ney; Ehab Nimer: violin; Omer Avital: bass; Avishai Cohen: bass (11); Tomer Zur: percussion; Rea Bar Nes: percussion & marimba.
amine2
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-15-2006 at 03:35 PM

hi zalzal, it seems very interessant, thank you.
i am a big fan of jazz, i discovered amos in avishai cohen last album "continuo", i enjoyed the music, i think that amos has a good rythmical playin and feeling. i'll try to listen this cd.
amine
Iznogoud
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by amine2i am a big fan of jazz, i discovered amos in avishai cohen last album "continuo",

Same thing here. I'm a huge fan of Avishai's music, Amos' playing on his records is beautiful. Any other Hoffman records you could recommend?

\"I suppose you could tie a piano to your crotch, but would it be the same thing?\" -Kim Thayil
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 02:42 PM

I think but am not sure that Amos Hoffman plays regularly with Avishai Cohen. See here some of AC's others cds with the probable collaboration of Amos Hoffman

zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 02:44 PM
Continuo 2006

Which Amine2 mentioned

zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 02:47 PM
Lyla

Iznogoud
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 12:47 AM

Yeah, I have both Adama and Continuo. Lyla I have to check out.

I actually meant Amos Hoffman's solo records or excursions outside Avishai, any suggestions on those?

\"I suppose you could tie a piano to your crotch, but would it be the same thing?\" -Kim Thayil
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 02:30 AM

Amos Hoffman don't play on the Lyla cd of Avishai Cohen.
But he plays oud on the album of Sam Newsome Global Unity.
http://www.amazon.com/Sam-Newsome-Global-Unity/dp/B00000I14W/sr
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2007 at 04:35 AM

Well my first post it is not me who wrote it. It is a press release i found on the web. But i do not know why i did not paste the link. I usually do it.
I believe, if my memories are good, that the rest of the press release mentioned that it was first incursion on solo by Amos Hoffman....(to be confirmed).

Microber, thank you for the Sam Newsome advise. I heard some excerpts and it sounds really really great.

amine2
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 02:47 AM

i have already avishai cohen's lyla and there is no oud in this record. i don't know abaout adama, cause i don't have it.
i don't think they play together in concerts, AC performs concerts only with his trio (double bass, piano, drums).
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-4-2007 at 11:53 AM

Replying to Iznogoud; Amos Hoffman has a myspace site where it is said

http://www.myspace.com/amoshoffman

.....In 1998, he recorded his first solo ablum The Dreamer for the Spanish Label, Fresh Sound/New Talent. He has also contributed to numerous other projects, including Ben Wolfe's 13 Sketches, 1997, Jay Collins' Cross Culture,1999, Sam Newsome 1999 and bassist Avishai Cohen's Continuo, 2006, Colors 2000 Devotion, 1999 and Adama, 1998.

After returning home to Israel at the end of 1999, he began to compose the music that would eventually become the tracks on Na'ama, 2006 his most recent work.

Not completely content to simply play his instruments, he's also taught himself to build them. To date, he has built 3 ouds, including the one he plays on Na'ama. "

But in his first record The DREAMER HE PLAYED GUITAR NOT OUD;;;

Go To Top