Printable Version  
Author: Subject: bracing the face
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 12-20-2006 at 03:22 PM
bracing the face

hey all

can someone please explain to me the whole thing of bracing.
i see alot of people do it differantly.
jameel makes lil pyarmids and i saw a few other guys just put regular wood in it ect.

is there a secret behind what u make it or how think ect i would love toknow for a lil project.
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 04:59 AM
Oud Bracing

Hi Sammy,

Braces are both reinforcing elements and acoustic objects which determine the basic characteristics of vibration of the soundboard. The vibration of a brace acts as a formulating master on the vibration pattern of the soundboard. If the shape of the cross section of a brace changes then its vibration pattern also changes. Every brace has a specific fundamental frequency. It is possible to change the composition of the overtones of the vibration data of a brace without changing the fundamental frequency of it, by changing the shape of the cross section it has. There is no “best” shape for this cross section. The desired tonality is a matter of personal taste, with the options ranging from a sound rich in overtones to a cleaner, more direct tone.

It is of course not only bracing which determines an oud’s tone. The positioning of the braces and other parameters such as grain characteristics, the stiffness of the soundboard, and the specific timber of the wood used are also crucial in determining the sound quality of an oud. It is not possible to consider the sound of an oud independent from all of its physical features, such as the wood used for the body and the overall thickness of it.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Hosam
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 03:55 PM

Master Faruk, do you tap tune the top to a certain note/frequency? What are the tools used and the process? What are the alternative methods for voicing the top?
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 12-24-2006 at 06:55 AM

hey faruk
THx for the info it helped alot. does it matter what i do for a electric oud or i should follow the a other prosess like jammel ro soemthign like that.
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden

Go To Top