Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My electric oud project
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 05:59 PM
My electric oud project

Hey All
Yeh i know i know i keep saying i am ganna make somethign and never do it or it just plan out retarted. AKA backpack oud .
Well i know i could never make a regular acustic oud so i am ganna atempt with my dads help to make a electric oud it will be made out of oak vaner and the pegbox and the neck will be made out of pure oak.

This will be my winter break project so it will take time to make.
I started to draw out the face, so i atleast know this is a start LOL
thx sammy
p.s samir i am looking foward to your oud not mine.

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Mazin
Oud Lover

Mood: respect to all

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 06:55 PM

Good start. But as far as I know, electric Oud has no face or belly. only when you fit the strings we can know for sure the face from the buttom. looking for a sound clip.

good luck

failed oud-maker

abdul
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 07:10 PM

Hey abdul

Even though u failed i would try again and again .
ok about my oud the way i am ganna make it is bsaicly make the face and the bottom the same size {obious} and then both will be flat and then make about 3 in deepth about not sure yet and then do finger board ect.
After thinking this out for a while i think it can and should work i only thing i am worried about is the pick up i need to find a good one still looking .
so if this goes weel it should work if not it will eba great wall hanger.
Btw do u have pics of your oud and do u know where u went wrong with it and what kind did you try to make.
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Mazin
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 07:55 PM

OK Sammy I am joking forgave me . I will tell you my story in short if you like. 10 years ago I obliged to leave my country. A day before I fled secretly, I bought an Oud from one of my patients. I did not know how to play it, yet I know that I would do nothing of importance till I would sattle in another country. So I started teaching myself aggressively and now I learnt enough to test the oud which I WILL build. I have no knowledge even for the basic carpentery but I started 6 months ago with simple things like sanding old furnitures, sawing, gluing..atc. I have completed the mould with the Kurdish oud as a reference and I am making some tools to help me with that. What I mean Sammy, nothing is impossible, just keep trying. I do not know how to attach pics here. teach me and I will attach some. By the way do not worry about the pick up now, make the peg box and the neck and be sure to make the neck in a way that can be removed in the future to be assembeld with a proper accoustic Oud when you will have the ability to do that and I am sure you will.

regards

Abdul
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 08:06 PM

hey Abdul

ok I c
Btw i was gann bsacily do for the neck is attach it like anyother oud but over lap it with a peace of finger board liek a violin
. hope it works
to put a pic on this site you need to make it small about 800 by 800 or so and then press edit adn then attrach it it should work
thx sammy

Mazin
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 08:17 PM

Thanks Sammy I will try in the day time. It is 4.15 AM in London now. by

abdul:wavey:
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 10:16 AM

Hey guys
I just got the chance to cut the face and back out. and i also cut the neck so i am not goin to sand them done as much as i can to get them perfect. and also i need to cut the middle out.
hope you guys are still watching or atleast tryen to see my horrendise work w/e.
thx sammy

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 10:17 AM

here

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 10:19 AM

here

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 01:58 PM

Hey all

Ok i made the peg box so far and i gouged it out of one big peice of oak and my hand stil kills from it lol:D.
i still have to drill the holes on the side and round the bottom . hope it come out .
thx sammy

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 01:59 PM

here

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 02:05 PM

here is the face with the drilled holes and i am stupid bc i wasnt looking and i marked right by where i wanted it but it was bad so i had to make the holes where they are.
thx sammy

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-15-2007 at 06:51 PM

hey all
here is the bracings on the face
thx sammy

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2007 at 01:33 PM

Hey all

Can someone please help me and tell me what is the best wood and easy accsess that i can get to close up my oud bc i wanna bend it out of one peice so plezz i really cant do much until i get this peice thx alot
thx sammy

p.s do u think it will have a some sound if i dotn make it electric or no bc of the face and all plezz tell me thx

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 1-18-2007 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oudplayer
Hey all

Can someone please help me and tell me what is the best wood and easy accsess that i can get to close up my oud bc i wanna bend it out of one peice so plezz i really cant do much until i get this peice thx alot
thx sammy

p.s do u think it will have a some sound if i dotn make it electric or no bc of the face and all plezz tell me thx
The plywood face and heavy braces would not make much sound. I would continue with the electric design. The easiest wood to bend is probably mahogany or yew. You could get very thin sheets or veneers of any wood and glue them together as you wrap them around the sides. 3 -6 layers would be strong enough, depending on the thickness of the sheets.
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2007 at 03:44 PM

hey doc sup

thx for the info that exacly what i wanted to know bra also i dotn haeva wood bender so how can i bend it with water and fire ect
thx again
sammy

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 1-18-2007 at 04:38 PM

If you use very this sheets you won't need any heat or water, just bend it around the sides and glue another on top of the 1st . Another option is to cut the wood across the grain, (like violin sides), the wood will bend easily across the grain without heat or moisture. If you use thicker wood along the grain direction, I have seen video of oud makers in Egypt bending wood by heating it over an open flame and while bending it in the air.

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2007 at 06:15 PM

hey doc

I will do what u said thx
thx sammy

Go To Top