Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: URGENT REPAIR QUESTION
oudipoet
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 03:31 PM
URGENT REPAIR QUESTION

hi everybody i recently purchased a turkish baglama/saz but somehow one of the ribs in the back started to split from others and i have no idea why? cos i keep my baglama/saz in the same room with my oud,guitar and my other instruments anyways.

i was just planing to fix that split betwen ribs but how?
i have no idea so i just wanted to ask you guys.what should i do? should i just fill the crack with some luthier glue or somethingelse please let me know thanks.

i found a similar baglama pict with a similar problem to give you an idea.

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
....should i just fill the crack with some luthier glue or somethingelse please let me know thanks.

i found a similar baglama pict with a similar problem to give you an idea.

yes. Use hide glue if you can cook it but not liquid hide glue. 2nd choice is yellow carpenter's glue.next choice is epoxy, last choice is cyanoacrilate (crazy glue)wood glue. Do not use white glue (polyvinyl), recorsinol (boat glue), hobby cement or anything else.
Push at the ends of the crack carefully to spread it open a bit, rub glue into the crack, squeeze it together, wipe off the excess glue & hold it together with some tape - any tape will do. After the glue cures (at least a day) clean the area around the crack with warm water and a plastic scrub pad or other rough fabric, wipe it dry, play it.

oudipoet
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 06:05 PM

thanks very much richard i knew i could count on you guys milion thanks from the bottom of my heart cos i dearly love this instrument

and one more thing any ideas why that crack might have happend cos as i said on my post i kept it with my other instrument in a safe room

if u can give me some ideas i would be so happy so same thing would not happen ever again i hope to god

what should i do?

cos the feeling of your instrument cracking is like breaking your heart slowly

when i saw the crack first for a second honest to god i tought i was gonna cry it s such a bad feeling i hope it wont happen to anybody.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 08:42 PM

Same thing happened to a setar I have. Two of the ribs opened up. The problem is the glue they use, and the case for it was a tad too small which put pressure on the bowl when the lid was closed.
oudipoet
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 09:07 PM

i do not even have a case for my baglama/saz i wonder if that is the problem ?

Go To Top