Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tomastik on Shehata
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 02:37 PM
Tomastik on Shehata

hello folks I put some tomastik on my 60cm shehata with one soundhole. what do you think?
They are still verry fresh since I put them on yesterday but the sound is comming along nicely and they feel nice to play with on the risha. I find the nylons a bit thick but someone could get used to it.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 08:19 PM

Samir, the strings sound nice, but you're playing sound great too :) That's a great song. I have many versions of it. Did Ziad Rahabani compose it?

Ok back to the stirngs :) Are these the Thomastik set from Jameel? The nylons seem a bit piercing but the wounds seem very mellow. From what I remember, but its been a while, the wounds feel soft on the fingers. Overall, they sound good . ..
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-4-2007 at 05:13 AM

Samir thanks for bringing back this great song of Assi Rahbani and Fayrouz, it is very nicely played, there is another sailors' song also by Assi with the great voice of Nasri Shamseddine it is talking about the port of Haifa (7aifa) but Ican't remember the title.

I don't know if it is the strings or the sound of your oud that makes this good sound.
A great strings experience would be by playing the same music on the same oud by the same person using all different brands and with the same mic and recording settings, it is a huge task I know, but maybe someone has the courage to do it.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-4-2007 at 08:32 AM

Thanks for pitching in guys.
The strings I got from my sister who brought them from abu dhabi
Your right about the wound feeling nice and soft. The thing that I find is that the nylons are too strong for the rest of the set. I think I may put nylguts instead.
Alami, Jameel tried doing it a while back but it was a lot of effort to maintain such a site. I think it would be a better idea to do it as a post in the forrums.
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 2-5-2007 at 01:29 PM

hey samir
great song and the strings soudn nice btw what makam is that in i would love to know to try to learn it
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden

Go To Top