Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: egyptianlines--any good?
Laith
Oud Addict

Mood: getting better

[*] posted on 2-25-2004 at 12:58 AM
egyptianlines--any good?

I contacted the sales rep for egyptianlines.com and saw some very beautiful ouds. Has anyone gotten an oud from them? Just trying to find some background info on oud sellers before I buy a new one. Thanks!
:mad: I'm not mad, I just like the monkey
jlaith@cs.com
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 2-25-2004 at 06:44 PM

I have a custom instrument on order thru them currently. I'll post pictures here once it shows up.

Freya
Laith
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 04:19 PM
egyptianlines--thanks freya

Thanks for replying Freya. I would like to know what your experiences were ordering from them. They seem nice, but I'm not used to ordering instruments straight from another country. I've ordered them through other companies (mid-east mfg). Thanks again and I look forward to seeing what you got!
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 3-2-2004 at 02:28 PM
Here's My Oud From EgyptianLines

Well here it is. I've shown it next to a "no name" Turkish instrument. The workmanship on the Arabic instrument is excellent. I expect the tone will be as well but the strings that were shipped with it are a bit light for my taste so some experimentation will be required.

It's astounding that it left Cairo on Saturday and showed up at my door midday today (Tuesday).

To give you some insight into the difference between a well-crafted instrument and a run-of the-mill instrument, for the Turkish Oud I had to replace the stock pegs with ebony ones (and had to buy a peg reamer to fit them right). I had to remove and recut the nut because the string spacing was way off. Also the soundboard started to split almost immediately and the cracks had to be filled with polyurethane.

The workmanship on the Egyptianlines (Shehata) instrument is flawless.

Harry
Laith
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-2-2004 at 10:53 PM
Freya has one good lookin' oud

Hello Freya! Wow, that is a beautiful oud--thanks for showing the picture of it. It sounds like your experience was a good one with egyptianlines. They sent me some gifs of some of their ouds and I was very pleased with the esthetics as well as the prices. Thank you again for your input. Now to save up the money for a new oud....

Go To Top