Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ghada Shbeir "Al muwashahat" cd.
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 12:36 PM
Ghada Shbeir "Al muwashahat" cd.

This Cd has won a music award by BBC. She is a singer and musicologist and has recovered old muwashahat transcribed in Cairo Arabic Music Congress begginning XX.
She must probably be a living enciclopedy of bizantyn, syriac, and oriental arabic maqams.

In her band there are Charbel Rouhanna on oud and Tony Khalife the son of Marcel, on violon, i think.

I think she will be performing in may at Barbican for the BBC awards.

This cd must be a "merveille".

Happy lebanese people who have the chance to learn with her.

ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 02:32 PM

You are right zalzal this CD is a merveille,

It was the fruit of a long musical research and it was recorded with some of the best musicians like charbel Rouhana on oud and Iman Homsi on kanoun,
Ghada Shbeir was in concert last sunday at the Unesco theater in Beirut and a european tour is following.
And when you say "a living encyclopedia" if you are thinking of an old lady you're wrong, she's young and very good looking, a kind of new hope for "the awful arabic music" everybody was complaining of, may be the kind of salt mavrothis was talking about.
I think that this CD is going to be a reference among Mouwashat classiscs, don't miss it, it is addictive, the more you listen to it the more you like it.
Attached a small extract to give you an idea

Muwashah Badru
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-16-2008 at 08:09 AM

Late on the uptake here. I don't look at this section very often, but I've had this CD for about a year and I can't stop listening to it. it must be one of the best recordings of arabic music I'm aware of in the past 20 years. I would say it's a must have for members of this forum. And it shows that the oud is much more than just a solo instrument - an easy trap for instrument-nerds like ourselves to fall into. Charbel Rouhana demonstrates that accompaniment is one of the finest arts of being an instrumentalist.

Go To Top