Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: my first recording attempt
Reid
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 09:55 AM
my first recording attempt

ok keep in mind, i just got my oud 4 days ago... lets just say ive got alot to learn. just wanted to know what you guys think i can improve on, or any suggestions on where to get help would be much appreciated!
Reid
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 10:05 AM

heres another kinda blues thing i tried to do :))
michoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mooud again..

[*] posted on 7-10-2007 at 06:51 AM

Hi Reid!
You must study slow and obtain a play in tune,
I played the blues guitar years ago but when I bought my first oud I studied very slow to obtain a good result, because oud is not like a guitar.
Take a look to learn oud in Mike ouds
You must have patience.
sorry for my english
bests!;)
Reid
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-10-2007 at 07:24 AM

thanks for the suggestions! i will continue to practice staying in tune, as i am new to the fretless fingerboard.;)
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 04:19 AM

hi Reid, you come form a guitar playing background I assume? me too, which has been helpful with the oud, we can bring whatever dexterity we have in the left and right hand to the oud. I like that blues number you did, sounds like an old delta blues thing. however the question you need to ask yourself is do you want to play the oud more or less like a guitar, whatever you fancy, or do you also want to play it in the classical Arabic or Turkish musical tradition? If you also want to play it in the latter, then you need to move away from the Jimmy Page guitar approach, and listen to a lot of authentic Arabic maqams, taqsims and so on by experienced players which are available on this website and also on youtube, and also read up on maqams/modes, Arabic music theory. A few lessons with an experienced player is very useful. You'll start to see the differences in how the oud is played (in the traditional sense) and the delta blues, and so be able to play both! :airguitar: keep on truckin'!

Go To Top