I also love the pegbox, the pegs are fantastic
any chance for a soud file at all?
best regards
Awad
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 08:37 AM

How on earth did I miss this post all week!?

Great looking oud Jim, and the whole presentation of the thread is a treat as well. I'm glad someone finally made the clamping-rig for the neck block. I've been meaning to make something like that for a long time. The paradox with such things is that when the need arises you almost always make due with what you have (push pins etc), but when you finally make the jig the right way you kick yourself the first time you use it for not making it sooner. I could spend a week or two just on jigs. Wouldn't that be nice? :)

I like your neck shaping process. I used a similar one for the #3 cherry oud, ala Robert Lundberg, where he glues (with newspaper between) the whole neck blank to a scrap and uses that to shape the neck and for clamping the veneer down. I'll have to try your method too. The frustration saved with such devices more than offsets the time used in making them.

What a great forum for oud-makers. I wish there were more out there who would contribute.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 08:41 AM

I love this picture....all that's missing is a glass of wine, a bunch of grapes, and some old parchment sheets of music....:))

[img]http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=6429&pid=38816[/img]

carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 01:33 PM

Ah, yes, my Dutch Masters Period - not the cigars ...

Thanks, all, for the encouragement and kind words. Sound files? I embarrass myself every time I pick it up; I can't play beyond scales and fiddle tunes. I've been putting in study time with printouts from Maqam World, but I think it might be genetic or cultural; growing up hearing the material regularly would be a big plus (as opposed to Grand Old Opry and The Who here). I'll try to find a real, willing player and get something recorded.

The neck block idea is kind of cool. Every time I find myself getting out my language, I start looking around for a better way. Building should be enjoyable, not frustrating. I've picked so much up from the forums, I like to share what little I've figured out, what eased my way. If it's a spur to someone's further investigation and improvement, so much the better. I definitely don't have all the answers, but between us, who knows? Maybe we do.

Wait 'til the next one! I have some figured wood (I know - "gasp!") ready and waiting.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 01:37 PM

Also, Jameel, I think a thread on Jigs and Fixtures would be a treat! Go ahead, I'll catch up.
meazaf
Oud Lover

Mood: friendly

[*] posted on 9-18-2007 at 03:07 PM

its very nice oud keep going for good
Fazhu
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-18-2007 at 07:21 PM

Beautiful oud Jim! I love the simplicity of it. Can you tell me more about the pegs? Did you order them and if so from where? Thanks for sharing.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-18-2007 at 08:58 PM

Thanks Fazhu. The pegs are boxwood; I got them through the local music store, the owner says they're ultimately from China. I don't know where he gets them, some huge supplier of musical everything. I'll ask. They are kind of a pretty Hill-style peg, yes?

A friend of mine makes high-end (!) violins, and he has some guy in England turn his boxwood peg and endpin sets; they're ammonia fumed for the color, while these here are merely stained and finished.
Fazhu
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 08:27 AM

Jim, I would appreciate it if you asked the music store owner. I have been having a hard time finding a source for lute/oud pegs on the net. Anybody else know of a place?
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 09:19 AM

I just called the owner - he gets them from Saga in San Francisco, also says they're mainly a wholesaler, so you'll probably have to get to them through a local dealer, likely have to meet a $ minimum order.

Don't know about real lute/oud pegs; these are violin pegs. Good luck with the search; you could post sources if you find them. Thanks.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top