Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nile Shop?
Laith
Oud Addict

Mood: getting better

[*] posted on 3-28-2004 at 06:10 PM
Nile Shop?

As I was scanning Ebay for ouds, I came across the Nile Shop. Visually, their Egyptian ouds looked good, and their prices are really cheap---which makes me nervous for some reason. Anybody out there got any info about them at all? Thank you very much---Laith
Again, I'm going with the monkey: :mad:
And not because I'm mad.
david
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouderific

[*] posted on 3-28-2004 at 08:12 PM

:wavey:Hey Laith, I highly recommend dealing with Yehia from the nile shop but I would spend the extra money and get a Shehata oud from him and not one of the ouds through ebay. Yehia is an excellent person to deal with. I would email him and enquire about a Shehata oud.
Sincerly David F.:D
journeyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-28-2004 at 11:19 PM

Hello Laith,
I bought one of Mourice Shehata's ouds through Yehia at the Nile Shop, and it is a very good oud in my opinion. I also bought two of the Nile Shop's e bay quality ouds with the intention of keeping one and selling the other one. I wanted an oud that was inexpensive that I could take out on my bike to the river etc. and not worry about. I bought an ash bodied oud for $160 US, and am satiafied with it. It is good for the price. The pegs are not great so I am taking it to a violin, viola and cello repairman who will fit it with some ebony viola pegs. I also sanded the laquer off the top and fingerboard and sanded down the nut a little bit so the action feels better. The result is a decent beginner's oud for a small investment. The other oud, which Yehia suggested was a little more money ($220 US) and was terrible. The highest string was seated in the bridge so that it was off the fingerboard when I pressed it down, the nut was so low that the strings were lying on the fingerboard, and in one place the staves on the back were seperated. In short, it is a very shoddy piece of workmanship for any price, and I can't in good conscience sell it. I'll probably donate it to the university. Yehia has been straight up in all of our business dealings, bit I would suggest that if you want one of his ouds on e bay, buy the ash bodied one for $160 and then invest a bit of money getting some good tuning pegs installed. The one I have is no where near the quality of my Shehata oud, but now that I have set it up I do play it and like it. This has been my experience plain and simple.

Good luck,
Roy
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 3-29-2004 at 09:19 PM
Doing Your Own Peg Replacement

It is really easy to do your own peg replacement. I got a set of 12 ebony viola pegs for $24.50 and a viola reamer for $23.95 from http://www.internationalluthiers.com. It took we about a half-hour to ream the holes and fit the pegs and my tuning has been rock solid since.
Laith
Oud Addict

Mood: getting better

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 07:25 PM
Nile Shop reply

Hey!
Sorry, it has taken me so long to reply to you guys about the Nile Shop. Thank you for your repsonses and I have contacted them about getting an oud. Now to play the lottery in hopes of being able to pay for it! Heck, if I really do win the lottery, I'm going to contact every oud maker this site has ever suggested and by ouds! Heck, I'll even buy one for everyone here!
Don't get your hopes up people...;)
journeyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 08:21 PM

That is good to know freya. One of my neighbours repairs violins, violas and cellos, and he has offered to put a set of viola pegs in my oud. He said it is not a big job.

Cheers,
Roy
david
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouderific

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 08:49 PM

:wavey:Hey Laith, which oud did you decide to go with?

Go To Top