Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buying a second hand oud
kvanmeer
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2004 at 12:34 AM
Buying a second hand oud

Hallo,

I'm a total beginner in oud... I'm playing viola and nyckelharpa (http://www.nyckelharpa.org/) and some guitar. I like Arabic music and the oud. Last Sunday I was on a flee market (second hand things) and there was an oud for sale. Because I was in a hurry, I didn't had much time so I'll go back this sunday.

The guy asks 160 Euro for it. probably I can get that down a bit.

The instrument looked nice, but the strings were not in good shapen (broken, ...) But since I'm a total beginner, can anyone tell me what I can check/look for to see if this instrument can be a good one? Or at least can be playable for a beginner? I don't think the strings are playable... What's the price of ouds? of cheap ouds? of expensive ouds?

Thanks,

Koen
---
Brussels
Belgium
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 4-6-2004 at 01:42 AM

Dear friend,
I give you an advice,on this price and without strings could be many strange problems with this instrument
Go with someone ho really knows the isntrument to see any problems if there are
Regards
Spyros Koliavasilis

kvanmeer
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-6-2004 at 02:03 AM

Mhhhh... Might be difficult to find someone who knows anything about Oud around here (at least I don't know anyone...).

My idea was to have some clue about if it could be playable (by posting these messages) and try to buy it for about 100 Euro. Since it's a nice looking instrument, I still can use it as decoration for that price... :-)

But , as I understood, that's very cheap?

Koen
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 4-6-2004 at 03:22 AM

Dear friend,
Depends for what you want it,I start like you do years ago,and I have changed more than 30 instruments,now I have professional ouds,but believe me,I did many sacrifices to get them,becuse you see,the oud is the healthiest drug,for all of us....:D
Anyhow,for 100 euros,I believe that it is not too much to have it as an decoration instrument
Regards to all
Spyros

P.S.That it is not mean that maybe is not a instrument to learn some things with....you can try,maybe you will pay some money to make it playable if is not:wavey:

wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 4-6-2004 at 07:36 AM
Ouds

Quote:
Originally posted by kvanmeer
Mhhhh... Might be difficult to find someone who knows anything about Oud around here (at least I don't know anyone...).

My idea was to have some clue about if it could be playable (by posting these messages) and try to buy it for about 100 Euro. Since it's a nice looking instrument, I still can use it as decoration for that price... :-)

But , as I understood, that's very cheap?

Koen
Hello Kvanmeer. My name is William Sparks and I have some tips for you. If I were you, I wouldn't get a flee market oud. Most of the time that's the wrong way to go. I'm going to suggest an oud maker who is on this forum by the name of Haluk Eraydin. I recommend this oud maker to all oud newbys. His ouds start at $119 US. He has great instruments for a low price. His emphasis is on quality and not quantity. Haluk is verry patient and can answer all questions on his ouds. If you have anymore questions, please poast or email me at wfspark@yahoo.com or wfspark@hotmail. If you have MSN you can add me to your contacts if you'd like. I have the learner's oud, which has a wenge and mahogany bowl, a spruce sound board, and pegs and neck of rosewood. If you need anymore help, please post or email.

William F. Sparks
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-6-2004 at 10:02 AM

Hello Koen,
Since the price is not too high for the oud, it can be worth taking a chance. If you are intent on buying it, here are a few things to look for:
[1] cracks in the top or the body. Look to see if any of the staves of wood in the bowl (body) have separated.
[2] Make sure the neck has not shifted forward. You can see if there is a space between the bowl and the neck where they join.
[3] The neck should be straight. Sight along the fingerboard lengthwise to see if it is warped or curved in any way.
[4] Make sure the bridge is not separating from the top.
[5] make sure the top has not warped, especially by the bridge.
[6] If the fingerboard and or tuning pegs are ebony or rosewood, that is a plus.

If it is structurally intact, then regardless of whether or not it is a great sounding oud, you will be able to set it up and play it. Good luck.

Roy

Go To Top