Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: where exactly the notes in the oud?
Rambaldi47
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 12:08 AM
where exactly the notes in the oud?

in guitar, the bar devided to frets and u could know where exactly each note.
but the oud doesn't devide to frets.
how would u know where exactly each and every note?
i really wanna so bad to learn guitar and oud. i know the differences between the musical forms.
i've found this site and makamworld.com extremely helpful.
i will buy a clasical guitar (acustic nilon)
and an egyption big oud type 3(professional) and i will learn day and night till i'll fully control in each instrument.

but this question very important to me.
if u know the answer, pls answer me.

thanks.

Nate.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 05:29 AM

Hi. The oud is just like any fretless instrument, live vioin, cello, etc. You have to practice and get used to the note positions.

I think the best thing for you is to look and find a teacher in your area, and get some basic lessons to start with. Once you are more comfortable, you can continue on your own.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Rambaldi47
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 07:29 AM

thank u. i donno if there r any teachers in my area....i mean israel. maybe in the other side (inside the "green line";) there r alot of teachers but not in my area.
do u think that if i buy the vcd 1 of "how to play the oud", i will find there the exact note places or the vcd start ahead of that???

thank u again.

Nate.
Elias Al-Muntarib
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 12:18 PM

I have seen fretted Ouds, but I don't think that would be the same.

To calculate where exactly each half-of-step (fret) is from the nut, use L(1-2^(-n/12)), where L is the length of string from bridge to nut and n is the number of the fret. Of course Arabic music also uses some other notes analogous to 1/4 steps which should be accounted for about half way between "frets".

-Freedom & Peace-

-Freedom & Peace-
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 02:01 PM

Hi again, I've never been to Israel, but I'm sure you'll find a teacher somewhere there. Just ask around.

The VCD is for Turkish oud I think. It's fine to start, but you probably want to have someone who is in the Arabic school teach you, since you want an Egyptian oud.

Take care,

mav

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Rambaldi47
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 08:11 PM

thank u all for ur answers.
the turkish and arabic oud play completely different tunes or u talkin about the makams, ajans and mudolation?

if so, the method explaoned in
http://www.maqamworld.com/
is the turkish or arabic makams?

thank u again for ur answers.
indeed, -Freedom & Peace- for all.

Nate.
david
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouderific

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 08:38 PM

Hey Rambaldi, the method at Maqam World is arabic. You can also try to use a chromatic tuner to see and hear where the notes are. Just placed your finger on the neck and start sliding down the neck while plucking and the tuner should pick it up and tell you what note(s) your playing. Its not the best way to learn but it should help you out a little;)
Good luck.
wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 02:18 PM
Differents between Arabic and Turkish macams.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rambaldi47
thank u all for ur answers.
the turkish and arabic oud play completely different tunes or u talkin about the makams, ajans and mudolation?

if so, the method explaoned in
http://www.maqamworld.com/
is the turkish or arabic makams?

thank u again for ur answers.
indeed, -Freedom & Peace- for all.
Hello Sir. I believe the only difference in Turkish playing and Arabic playing is the tuning. The Turkish tuning is E A B E A D. The Arabic is D G A D G C. In Turkish music notation, sometimes the music is written in the key one fourth above the key you play in. If I were you, I'd go with a Turkish oud. You'll get a better quality of oud if you go with Turkish ones. The Egyptian ouds tend to be unpredictable, and as Dr Oud said in a previous thread, "Many are good, few are not." I'm going to recommend you a maker of Turkish ouds. Go to http://www.eraydinsazevi.com.tr. Haluk Eraydin, one of the members of the forum operates that sight and builds quality Turkish ouds starting at $119 US. If you need any more help, please post or email me at wfspark@yahoo.com or wfspark@hotmail.com.

William F. Sparks
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 06:37 PM
$119 for an oud?

$119 for an oud?

....What is it made out of?

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 07:06 PM

It's interesting that someone comes to http://www.arabicouds.com to insult arabic ouds, and to say that the only difference between the Turkish school and the many Arabic schools is tuning, aside from their respective quality, of course.

mavrothis

--Edgard Varèse
wfspark
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mavrothis
It's interesting that someone comes to http://www.arabicouds.com to insult arabic ouds, and to say that the only difference between the Turkish school and the many Arabic schools is tuning, aside from their respective quality, of course.

mavrothis
Hello Mavrothis. I'm not trying to insult Arabic ouds by any means. I'm sorry if I spat out any information that is misleading or offensive.

William F. Sparks
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 08:33 PM
wfsparks

Dear William,

We understand your enthusiasm for the oud, we all share it. And we understand the excitement of beginning a new instrument.
It's just that a month ago you didn't even have an oud, but for the last few weeks all you talk about is Eraydin. You kept saying how great the oud was even before you received it. You manage to inject him into every one of your posts.
Now Eraydin is a good ustaz but there are many other contemporary Turkish makers (Turunz, Sandi, etc) who are equally good or better. There are also many great Arab makers (Shehata is not the God of Arab makers).
Please respect everybody and tone down the constant buzz about Eraydin. We got the message. You 're excited and you like him. So do I. I have more than a dozen ouds, including Eraydin, and I love all of them.
And spend a little more time with your oud before you give out advice about bracing and other technical matters.
There is so much knowlegde about the oud, that we are all beginners.

But don't stop contributing and don't stop playing

Peace
Spyros C.
wfspark
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spyrosc
Dear William,

We understand your enthusiasm for the oud, we all share it. And we understand the excitement of beginning a new instrument.
It's just that a month ago you didn't even have an oud, but for the last few weeks all you talk about is Eraydin. You kept saying how great the oud was even before you received it. You manage to inject him into every one of your posts.
Now Eraydin is a good ustaz but there are many other contemporary Turkish makers (Turunz, Sandi, etc) who are equally good or better. There are also many great Arab makers (Shehata is not the God of Arab makers).
Please respect everybody and tone down the constant buzz about Eraydin. We got the message. You 're excited and you like him. So do I. I have more than a dozen ouds, including Eraydin, and I love all of them.
And spend a little more time with your oud before you give out advice about bracing and other technical matters.
There is so much knowlegde about the oud, that we are all beginners.

But don't stop contributing and don't stop playing

Peace
Spyros C.
Hello Spyros C. Thanks for the advice. I guess I got carried away. Mavrothis, please forgive me.

William F. Sparks
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 09:35 PM

Hi

Alright guys!! Back to PRACTICE plz!!!:D

Regards
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 10:08 PM
119$ for an oud

Hello Jameel,

I have a big stock of woods for music instruments.Because of I order much quantity I can buy cheaper.Also,I don't want a new learner pay much money for an oud.May be he will give up soon to learn oud.Why much money for a learner oud? About woods:If I want,I can use wenge and padouk or rosewood-wenge for bowl and best quality spruce wood for soundboard.Currently I use rosewood pegs on learner models.Genarally I use walnut,mahagony and maple for learner models.If you wish,I can send you also a learner oud.
Regards.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top