Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Al Ala - The Moroccan Andalusi Music
Rambaldi47
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-21-2004 at 08:37 AM
Al Ala - The Moroccan Andalusi Music

Anyone here familour with this music and know how to play it on the oud?
i was born in israel, i'm jewish. my parents was born in Morocco so it's kinda my inheritance. I love this music, i even learnd couple of songs and mawals based on the "al ala" maqams.
since then (almost 3 years), i quit practice,
therefor my voice is not what it used to be. what left for me is the playing. i want so much to play the oud (Arabic or Turqish - I really fon't mind) and my brother found me an oud player (only 2 years older than me but professional who also play violin) and i will start in a couple of weeks.

here is a great page i've found about "al ala" music. it's rather old though and not fully detailed but it's the best i could find.

http://www.mincom.gov.ma/english/gallery/music/andalusi.html

Nate.
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 4-23-2004 at 08:05 AM

oddly enough, i just mentioned an andalusina oud player named habib guerroumi in another thread concerning folk style oud playing. he and his wife have released two cd's on an israeli label (the "zuba?"..."zuta"? label...can't remember the name but type "habib guerroumi" in your search engine and see what comes up.)

he is highly recommended as you can hear him clearly when he sings and plays. you don't have all the rhythmic interference and too many @#!%* violins which usually comes with large ensemble, andalusian style performances.

please let me know how you get on.

sincerely - bill
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-23-2004 at 09:43 AM

I have a CD called 'Andalusi Lute' with Omar Metioui on oud. The oud playing is good, but the highlight of the whole CD is the single mawwal on it.

Thankfully there are no violins, just voice, oud, darbukka and tar.
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-23-2004 at 01:14 PM

Hi

There is another Omar Metioui CD available featuring solo oud as well as vocals - it is call 'La Fuente Del Amor Secreto' and is available via Discoweb.com (or Discoweb.co.uk).

David
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 4-23-2004 at 01:58 PM

I know there is a difference, but if any of you guys want, I can post some files of Sephardic music from Thessaloniki, Greece. It's from the Savina Yiannatou album.

Let me know.

mav:)

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Rambaldi47
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-24-2004 at 03:04 AM

thanks u'all for your answers.
didn't know that there r so many of you that know and have intrest in this type of music. back when i learnt this music, the teacher was also an oud player. you'all should hear his voice. absolutly amazing!!!
i remember that i wanted even then, to play the oud in addition of singing. i told him if he can teach me. sadly, that wasn't carried out. maybe now, this oud player that my brother found for me, will teach me to play the oud, and who know....i might be founding myself in a couple of years playing in an orchestra!!!
i'm dreaming....first thing first.

regards to all.

Nate.

Go To Top