Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Pictures
david
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouderific

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 09:28 PM
Oud Pictures

:bounce:Come on guys, lets get some more pictures of peoples ouds up on the new Musical scores page.:bounce: I'm pretty sure with all these members there has got to be a sh*t load of ouds for us to look at:airguitar:
Michael
Oud Maniac

Mood: M'oud-y

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 02:36 AM

Hmm! This is an interesting phenomenon which I've noticed quite a bit here and also on some of the guitar forums I visit. Namely, an interest in the instrument itself and wanting to see pictures of instruments.

Personally I'm not particularly interested in ouds (or guitars for that matter) per se. What I'd like to see more of is sound clips with transcriptions so we can learn to play more pieces and increase our repertoires. I'd also like more discussion of technique so we can all improve our playing. Maybe also some theory or how to develop taqsims and improvisations.

It's a musical instrument folks, just a tool for making music. It's the music that matters. Spend the time that you'd spend looking at pictures of ouds listening to some great music instead, or getting some practice in.

Just my tuppennyworth, whatever floats people's boats I guess. There's room for all tastes and interests.
ztochaztik
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 03:56 AM
yes but...

true... i agree... but still we cant stop the obsession. we all know that music should come first and probably thats why most of us got hooked up with the oud... because of is music but after some time you just cant control it it becomes everything ...
its sound, color, shape and even the smell...
maybe it's because we want the perfect instrument to make the best music
:bowdown:
regards
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 05:07 AM

Put my pics up!
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 05:38 AM

Hi

I agree with Michael!

Regards
david
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouderific

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 08:08 AM

:D Of course I'd like to hear more sound clips and possibly even video clips of members playing thier favorite pieces(Mike theres an idea!).

Honestly I feel that putting pics up is great way for people to appreciate the beauty amoung all the various instruments. I don't feel that thier's anyone here that would spend all day looking at pics instead of playing.

And I really don't feel its more than just a musical instrument. If that was true, they'd all be factory made by a big company and everyone would have the same looking oud and then it would become a tool. Also I dont feel that any real true hearted muscian would view thier instument as a tool and not a part or extension of themselves.

So with that said I hope you and whoever reads this knows where I'm coming from regarding the beauty and appreciation I have for this instrument. :xtreme:
By the way Michael how did you come across your oud?
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 09:23 AM

I agree with david, I feel often the instrument is almost itself an individual. Just like you're proud of your children, it's similar in a way to loving not just the music, but the individual instruments themselves.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 08:01 PM

Hi

I agree with Mav!

Regards
Michael
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 12:10 AM

In reply to your question, David, I came across the oud in the following way.

Primarily I play flamenco guitar. That's my first love, I love flamenco (maybe coz my mum was Spanish, tho' I'm British).

On a visit to Spain about 2 years ago I saw a small clay drum in a souvenir shop. I liked it and it was really cheap (about 20euros) so I bought it.

Back in the UK I found out that this small drum was called a darabouka and is mainly used in Arabic music.

In knew that there were Arabic influences in flamenco (the Moors occupied much of Southern Spain for almost 800 years until the Catholics ejected them in the Reconquista in 1492), so I decided to learn how to play this thing properly and attended an Arabic percussion evening class.

Tho' I still play flamenco the Arabic thing took on a life of it's own. I still attend the evening class and a few of us have formed a performing group. We have done about 7 or 8 performances so far - see the "Who Are We" thread on this forum.

The teacher of the class occasionally imports instruments from North Africa. Mainly percussion which he sells to his students, but last summer he had an oud. Since he knew I played flamenco guitar he gave me first refusal on it.

Refusal was, of course, not an option and so I've been playing oud for about 9 months now. Sometimes to the detriment of flamenco. I think I might be spreading myself a bit too thin.

Anyways, that's my story.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 07:06 AM

That's very cool Michael. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I like to rad stuff like that. And thanks for adding your photo to the other thread too. Very cool.

Take care,
Mike

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
In reply to your question, David, I came across the oud in the following way.

Primarily I play flamenco guitar. That's my first love, I love flamenco (maybe coz my mum was Spanish, tho' I'm British).
Tho' I still play flamenco the Arabic thing took on a life of it's own. ....

Hey, I was playing Flamenco when I saw my first out too! Me & my guitar buds went to see some belly dancers, but I fell for the oud instead. (well, there was this one dark eyed wild gypsy girl with a knife in her belt....). My guitar teacher had just bought a Karibyan, and since ouds were so hard to find (way back before the web) I measured his and built my 1st. Then I just kept trying to make a better one (-still trying). Once I started oud, I never played Flamenco again. Well, I was having trouble with Bulerias anyway. It turned out my favorite contras (Grenadinos, Solea, ) were so like Arabic, and I didn't have to fuss with my fingernails!

Michael
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-4-2004 at 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

You're very welcome. I'm happy to be part of this community you've created.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Oud

Once I started oud, I never played Flamenco again.

I'm afraid that won't happen here. This may be heresy on this forum, but the oud would go first. Hopefully there'll always be room for both in my life.
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-4-2004 at 03:47 AM

I can't grow my fingernails properly either, which made me decide to ditch the classical guitar and take up the lute (I always preferred lute music to the same old classical guitar stuff anyway). The lute led me to the oud, and the two are now happy bedfellows. Although my classical guitar playing has died an unlamented death, I've been experimenting with playing Indian Carnatic music on an electric - I find it challenging and quite gratifying as well.

If you don't know what Carnatic music is and want to find out, check out this link:
http://www.guitarprasanna.com/mainindex.html

Go To Top