Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: tuning peg slippage
goldengate01
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 5-13-2003 at 02:37 PM
tuning peg slippage

I just bought a new Oud. I'm a veteran string player and a pretty good engineer- so I don't want to re-invent something if its broken:

The tuning pegs cannot hold any tension- they slip back immediately. What is the traditional method of securing the tuning pegs on an Oud? This is a Turkish standard well made model, bought brand new.
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 5-13-2003 at 10:20 PM

Yeah, this seems to be a problem for a lot of people. Twisting the pegs is only half of it... the other half is... get ready for this... pushing up or down, depending on where the peg is (if it's on the lower side, push up, and if it's on the upper, push down). Do this WHILE YOU TWIST THE PEGS. That should allow it to hold. Tell me how it goes.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-14-2003 at 04:28 AM

Tuning Pegs should work smoothly and hold in any position. It should not be a struggle to turn them. Check these: The pegs should be harder wood than the pegbox walls. (If the pegs have grooves worn in them, they are soft) The pegs are out of round (shiny rings on pegs are not completely around the shank, but only in spots.) The pegs are not fit well. Your best cure is to get a new set of ebony or rosewood pegs (I can sell you a set of 12 for $35) and re-fit them using a tapered reamer. You may also want to take the pegs and oud to a violin shop, they can easily re-fit the pegs for you, although it might be expensive. Here is a link for an article about poorly working pegs. Best luck.

Oud Peg Article

Go To Top