Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: the entered apprentice
moremonks
Oud Admirer

Mood: rocking out

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 10:25 PM
the entered apprentice

I recently had the good fortune to stumble upon this forum and community, and since I have an oud coming to me via mail in a few days (which is an Ali Khalifa & Sons one, but presumably an older one made before the transfer of the business to his son, as Ali's name is on the rosette and it has the green & red trim mentioned in an earlier post that said this was an identifying mark of pre-Mouafaq ouds), I decided to sign up.

That said, I just wanted to issue a warm hello to all those who are part of this forum. I imagine I'll have a mountain of questions to ask in the coming weeks, as it seems like this is an instrument that is very much a generator of obsession (case in point, I am already obsessed simply by hearing the oud and seeing it played).

Beyond saying hi, I was wondering if anyone out there hails from the Cleveland, OH area? I'm curious to know if any sort of tangible oud community exists here. Furthermore, where exactly do US residents buy their oud accessories, like strings and rishas?

And so it begins...

More Monks Than Reason :: www.moremonks.com
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 01:28 AM

Hi:wavey:

WELCOME!!:)

Regards
Zul
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 04:23 AM

Hello,

Welcome to Mikes forum.
Regards.
Haluk Eraydin

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 06:05 AM

Hi. I live in PA and used to play in Cleveland sometimes while I was in school at Pittsburgh. Honestly, most of the extras you need can be found on the internet: strings, risha...

I don't really know how the Arabic music community is out there now, but you should really check around and try to find someone to help you get started. If you have a lot of trouble, let me know and I can probably help you. The club musicians I know in Ohio probably know of Arabic musicians too.

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
moremonks
Oud Admirer

Mood: rocking out

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 07:11 AM

Yeah, I'm going to be buying all the various accessories online, I was just wondering if there wasn't perhaps some local place so that I could avoid ridiculous shipping fees.

Thanks for your offer of help. Depending upon how things go, I might certainly take you up on that. I imagine that I should have a not entirely impossible time starting out, though, as I am a guitarist, and I've seen multiple instances on the internet professing the relative ease of switching from guitar to self taught oud, even though I'm sure it probably creates a more unorthodox playing style than formal teaching.

More Monks Than Reason :: www.moremonks.com
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 09:20 AM

Hi,

I'm sure you'll do very well. If you do decide to look for a teacher and are having trouble locating one, just let me know and I'll try to find some through other players I know out there.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse

Go To Top