Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: transition?
erionpilot
Oud Admirer

Mood: intense

[*] posted on 5-12-2004 at 12:52 PM
transition?

Hello everyone, I just recently made the decision to purchase my very first oud. I am looking at a couple of options, either buy a turkish oud over the internet (expensive) or go to a store in the area (tampa/orlando) and get an arabic oud for something like 150-180 dollars. I really have my heart set on the turkish oud on the long run and was wandering if I train in the arabic one can I easily switch to the turkish later on, in other words do they play differently in terms of skill or method or composition or tuning or what have you? I am guessing no, but then again I am not sure, which is why your expertise is greatly appreacited. By the way, really great forum! Oud on!

Be happy for a moment, that moment is your life. Omar Khayam
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 5-12-2004 at 01:17 PM

Hi there!

I think it's great that you are interested in both, however there are many significant differences in the theory and playing of Arabic vs. Ottoman music. My advice is take your time and get the instrument that you prefer the most, and focus on that school of playing. Then when you are comfortable in the one, crossover to the other. :)

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
erionpilot
Oud Admirer

Mood: intense

[*] posted on 5-13-2004 at 12:43 PM

Thank you for the response. I am interested in both styles as I have friends from turkey and Morocco, but I will stick to turkish school for a while. Are you greek?

Be happy for a moment, that moment is your life. Omar Khayam
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 5-13-2004 at 03:48 PM

Yup!

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse

Go To Top