Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Measurement
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 06:35 AM
Oud Measurement

Hi:wavey:

Im thinking of replacing the soundboard of my Foad Oud to a new one and the Oud maker ask me if I can measure the Oud and give him the details. Im not too sure about this so I thought I ask around first :) How do I measure it? Which end to which end? etc.

Regards
**Jameel?
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 08:22 AM

Are you expecting to replace the face yourself with a face made someplace else? Quite a feat I must say. The face is built by first fitting the braces into the body, then locating and gluing the braces to the face. The face is then trimmed to the body and the edge cut in and an edge band applied. How you could measure all this for a maker to build and send a face for you to install is beyond me. I suppose he could make the braces extra long for you to trim into the body, but you better make sure they fit, because if they are short the face is useless. The fit of the braces is critical and must be precise.

If it were me, I would decline to send a completed face for someone else to install, because of the risks involved. I would rather have you to send me the oud and send it back with the face properly installed and ready to play.

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 08:26 AM

Hi Dr Oud:wavey:

Actually..Im not going to install it myself :) The Oud maker ask me to measure it so when I come to his workshop he got it ready to fix it right away and I can bring it back home with me without waiting too long:) Can you help me how to measure an Oud soundboard?

Thanks!
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 10:24 AM
Trace

You could lay the oud face down on a large enough piece of paper and carefully trace the face on paper with a pencil (the bridge will raise its end up a little, but I do not think that would be a problem, since the face plate will probably be fitted at the shop.) After tracing is complete then cut and send pattern to shop.
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 05:50 AM

Hi Elie

Thanks for the advice!

Salam

Go To Top