Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Transferring from cassette
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 08:08 AM
Transferring from cassette

Hi

I have some great oud recordings on cassette, but it would be nice to transfer them to my PC in case the tape wears out (and so that more people can hear them, of course ;) )

Does anyone know the best way to transfer from cassette to PC? I have tried just connecting a lead between the two and recording on Musicmatch Jukebox, but the sound comes out distorted in parts and it is not really satisfactory.

Best wishes

David
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 08:15 AM

Hi,

If you have creative play center 2, that works real well as a recorder, b/c you can monitor the recording levels and make sure it's not too loud.

If you don't have this software I could probably send it to you.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 08:20 AM

Hi Mav

Can I have it too?:)

Salam
Michael
Oud Maniac

Mood: M'oud-y

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 08:28 AM
re: Transferring from cassette

You can adjust the amount of signal coming in to the line-in using the mixer tool. Alternatively, adjust the output volume of the cassette player if possible - not all of them will provide this facility.

To maximise signal quality and get the best signal to noise ratio set the cassette player to the loudest possible setting and the line-in on the PC to the lowest possible setting such that you get the optimum signal recorded. That is, the recorded signal should not be too quiet nor should it be so loud that it starts clipping or distorting.

If this is not possible with the equipment you have then you may need to put a pre-amp between the cassette player and the PC's sound-card.
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 09:35 AM

Firstly, I'm assuming that you have the link between the cassette player's headphone's output and the computer's microphone input.

I have a program called from Windows Media called Plus! Analog Recorder. If you press play on the cassette, it automatically fixes the volume so that it's not booming through your computer, nor is it indistinguishably low. It comes with the Plus! Digital Media Edition.

If you want more info, please reply. I'd be glad to offer some help.

TP21

Go To Top