Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud vs. Kanun
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 02:31 PM
Oud vs. Kanun

Hi this is gona seem weird to some since it is on a oud site.
here is my situation. I love the oud the way it sounds when other people play it. now my oud is a "tourist" one from lebanon. the pegs dont stay tuned, the nut is wooden, the rosettes are plastic, its straped togheter with some ugly glue, and on and on and on...

I am concidering getting one made by maurice Shehata but It seams like its gona be a lot of money for a student like me! Although I love arabic music I have to narrow it down. I would like to learn kanun also. and I think it would be the same price to purchase. so the dowright question is.. Am I the only one in this situation and does anybody know of a site like Mike's for kanun?

Thank you.. And Mike I dont think theres quite a site like yours. but maybe you inspired someone to make it for kanun?
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 05:39 PM
qanun

Dear friend,

I share your love for all Arabic music and sounds, especially the oud and the qanun.

However, if you think qanuns are cheaper, you're in for a surprise. A good qanun is usually 2 to 3 times more expensive than a good oud.

Plus you have to put a lot of time into it.

My teacher, Mimi Spencer, was a qanun virtuoso, and also played oud, and it took her all day to tune her qanun. No doubt it was worth it, but it wasn't trivial.

Also the qanun has small levers below the set of strings that you have to lift quickly while you are playing to create the microtones. So it's not an easy instrument to learn quickly. But it does sound fantastic doesn't it ?

Anyway, there are several good qanun makers both in the Arab countries and in Turkey. You can look them up on the web.

Send me an e-mail for more details.

Salamat
Spyros C.
Sasha
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 6-5-2004 at 01:01 AM
Mimi

Spyros:

I knew Mimi (like many of my friends) from Mendocino camp, and since she has left us, whenever any of us play a song that we learned from her, we say 'Thanks, Mimi' afterwards...

Sasha - Listening to her version of Raghizi Apopse I Kardhia
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-5-2004 at 06:39 AM

I would like to first off.. offer my sympaties to the people who knew Mme.Spencer. she was a great artist in my opinion.

thanks for the info on the levers of the kanun I wasnt familiar with that. By the looks of it I think Iam gona go with either one cause were already talking big bucks.
efkharisto polis ya Spyros
Yassou

Go To Top