Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: la bella
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 06:22 PM
la bella

what am i supposed to get for my egyptian oud...the le bella OU80 or the OU80A(arabic), the arabic ones are thinner. I think the ones that came with the oud were thicker than the specs on the la bella's arabic specs. Anyways, which one should I get?
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 07:47 PM

For arabic tuning, the arabic set is ideal, for turkish, the OU80 would be your best bet. The main difference between the 2 sets is that the arabic's nylons are thicker, closer to Pyramid Orange set
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 10:22 PM

It would be a more accurate comparison to look at the mass per unit length instead of gauges.

You might want to try different sets and see which one you think is best and use as a reference. Any set stamped Arabic oud would be a start, however, I am finding out that some specify tunings which are not Arabic but yet label the set as Arabic. Le Bella seems to be one of those companies. The tuning they specify on the OU-80B set, which is stamped Arabic, is actualy considered Turkish/Armenian. I tried to get the linear density of these strings from Le Bella to determine if they would be usable for my Arabic tuning before buying a set, but haven't been successfull. Their sales rep couldn't provide it. I will try to call the factory when a technical person is available.

The thing is, you want to use the linear density of each string to determine the tension for your scale and tuning of each string. Of course too high or too low tension may yeild undesirable results. I am still experimenting with different densities and resulting tensions for the different strings.

Regards,
Elie
Al Billings
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2004 at 03:49 PM

Elie, do you have current contact info for Pyramid USA? I have this email address info@pyramidstrings.com. Do you know if it's correct? Do you have a phone number for Paul? He's been slow to respond to my emails.
Thanks, Al Billings
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 7-12-2004 at 07:36 PM

Al,

Here is the info I have for Pyramid strings USA contact:

Boston Catlines
Olav Chris Henriksen
34 Newbury Street
Somerville, MA 02144
Tel&Fax (617) 776 - 8688

I haven't tried contacting them yet and have been working with the factory in Europe. My contact at the factory is:

s.holz@pyramid-saiten.de

They have been very prompt in answering my questions. They go on Summer holidays sometime this month and will be gone for about a month is what they told me.

Elie Riachi
Al Billings
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2004 at 08:42 PM

Thanks for the reply and information. I'll call them.

Go To Top