Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flight Case For Oud
maraoud108
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 01:29 PM
Flight Case For Oud

Hello all,

Just wanted to check in to see if anyone here knows of any strong yet portable flight cases for oud.

A few years back I was flying from Paris to Vienna and Anour Brahem was on my flight. As we waited by the gate I introduced my family to him. I noticed he had a sturdy looking, yet portable flight case for his oud. It wasn't so bulky as to catch the attention of flight officials, but was sturdy enough to protect the oud in one of those rare times that someone is a jerk and makes you check your instrument. I figure if it's something that he would use, it probably offers good protection.

I'm thinking of something similar to Calton Cases.
Their cases are indestructible: I toured with an artist who checked her vintage Martin acoustic on every flight with one for years with never a problem.

https://www.calton-cases.com/shop/mandolin-cases/

If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Thanks!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 02:52 PM

Calton cases are legendary. They do make a lot of custom cases, which is going to be necessary anyway for this type of case to really be safe (no two ouds have dimensions that are identical, unlike say a gibson 335).

They're quite expensive but if you travel a lot it may be worth it. You could ask them about making a case for your oud. I think I asked about 20 years ago and they didn't want to do it then but maybe times have changed.

I don't know of a similar company that specifically makes an oud case. Though I'm sure there are options, not too many are likely to have the kind of reliability Calton offers.

Go To Top