Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud .....Chords?
flamenco
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-13-2005 at 02:04 PM
Oud .....Chords?

Hola,

First of al, I no nothing about Oud ...except listening to it ..;) but i have a question. do you guys play chords on oud ? you know coz ther is some pretty finger-stretching chords played on the guitar - specialy Flamenco music. I would appreciate any comments.
Thanks ( great website by the way keep it up :buttrock: )

Ciao
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-13-2005 at 03:40 PM

i am taking Oud lessons. And i stoped my Guitar lessons , I have a guitar specially for Flamenco music made in Spain by Cordoba and a steel guitar made by Ibanez , but i like to learn the Ousd first and dont want to mix.But i bought the Guitarspecially to play Flamenco. I love it. Why dont you try the Oud???? it is fun and very nice.:applause:
flamenco
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-13-2005 at 06:19 PM

Hola,

OH ! my guitar is Cordoba too ... 30F .....its not very expinsive about $500... but very good ..its a very decent guitar.....im not planning to buy any expinsive flamenco guitars (Ramirez my favorite) tell i really become good...... I love to learn the oud ... and im a big fan of this instrument. I LOVE the oud... but i have dedicated my time to the Guitar :airguitar:.... My friend since you are taking classes can you answer my question plzz hehe......is there Chords in oud :shrug:? do you play Am Em F chords etc .....i would assume if there is chords in oud then they should be the first thing someone should learn right ?
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 8-13-2005 at 06:26 PM

Chords can be played on the oud bu from my understanding its not very often.

I havent seen really drastic finger stretching chords played but common ones like c miner, e major and so forth.

I k like hearing chords on the oud and anticipate learning them but I think they need to be strategically placed and not used to often.

I am not sure of chords are really a way to place harmony into music but if my assumption is correct, then the ouds main purpose is to follow a melody rather than to creat harmony. Maybe that is the reason they are not used so often. Correct me if im wrong, Im still learning fundamentals.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-13-2005 at 07:04 PM

Flamenco, I understand what you are saying. I studied guitar for quite a while before I picked up the oud, and I really thought I was going to miss the chords.

I think that the reason chords aren't played so much is not just that the oud traditionally plays single note melodies, but also that it is tough to make a lot of chords when you don't have the frets. It can be physically impossible. Also, the music of Arabs and Turks (and other cultures where the oud is played) uses microtones--playing a chord with microtones just doesn't work.

Still, a lot of chords can be played, and fairly easily. I use Turkish tuning (EABead), and some chords just naturally are there. Not just double stops, but nice rich chords. D major and D minor are the easiest, I guess, and so I guess I tend to play songs in those keys a lot. It really helps if you are playing by yourself, or playing and singing. If I can't get a chord, I will at least try to play an arpeggio from the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes of the scale. And, or course, these are western scales--no microtones.

Chords are played on the oud, but, unfortunately, I think that the music is sometimes looked at as being non-traditional. It is non-traditional, in a sense, but it can be really effective.

hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 8-16-2005 at 03:04 AM

i use the arabic tuning cfadgc, i find it easier to play chords, like in c major, minor, d, g, f,e and more. you just have to experiment and you'll find that you can play many chords on the oud. If you listen to Naseer Shamma, he uses tons of chords, and i think he uses standard fadgcf tuning.

hamed
DJCrabtree
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-16-2005 at 05:56 AM

I'm very much a beginner, so it's probably a problem with my left hand technique, but doesn't the fingering of the e or e flat (in a C or C minor chord) on the third string stop the open G of the 2nd string from sounding.
Does anyone else have this problem with chords, or indeed when playing the oud generally ?
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 07:30 AM

I think it is just a matter of keeping your fingers a bit more perpendicular to the neck

DJCrabtree
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 12:59 AM

Hi Jonathan,

That 'just' is a bit scary. I know I've already developed some bad habits, but having no teacher and no previous experience of stringed instruments (how bad can it get ?), I think I've tended to go with what feels comfortable rather than build a sound foundation of technique. Perhaps it's time to go back to basics. Are there any teaching videos that you know of, or that you could recommend ?

Thanks, and best wishes
David

Go To Top