Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tuning problems
madzub
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 07:41 AM
Tuning problems

Hi Everyone: I'm fairly new to ouds, so I might be stating an obvious problem (but one that I'd love to get a solution to).

I've just put a new set of Aquila strings on my Arabic oud, and on two of the strings I've encountered a problem that I had once on my Turkish oud. When I try to tune these strings, nothing happens as I slowly adjust the peg for a bit, and then suddenly there's a little pop and it jumps up (or down) too far. Nothing I do seems to allow me to tune to in-between these two points, it just keeps jumping. I don't know whether this is a) a problem at the bridge b) a problem at the nut c) problem at the peg or d)a problem with the string itself. Infuriating....

As it wasn't happening before I changed strings, I'm assuming that it's something in the way I've strung it (though everything else is working fine).

thanks for your advice................
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 08:14 AM

This is happening only on the wound strings, correct? If so, the problem is with the nut. The winding is not passing smoothly over the nut. Not sure why this didn't occur with your old strings. Do a search for nut grooves and you'll find lots of posts with solutions. Good luck.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 12:47 PM

I can give you a good temporary trick...
take a regualar HB pencil. And rub the tip in the groves of your nut just blacken it a little not too much. It will help create less friction. Most likely the nut isnt made properly. There's quite a good amount of posts that deal with that problem and that explain how to make a new nut.

Go To Top