Author: Subject: speed or feeling?
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 02:33 PM
speed or feeling?

Why do mucisians have this passion with
speeding?
if someone talks real fast you can't understand a word of what he's trying to say.
In my opinion the same thing happens in music.
A musical phrase is a poem,not
a formula1 race!!!!!
I need a few notes talking straight to my heart, not 20056notes per second telling
me absolutely nothing!!!!
anyone can play fast if he makes the metronome his lover!!!
:rolleyes:
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Adel
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-9-2004 at 02:21 AM

feeling,
Adel
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-9-2004 at 02:52 AM

Hi bluesyOud

I'm not sure there is such a serious speed vs. feeling debate with the oud, as compared to the guitar for example. (I used to play the guitar, and I remember endless arguments in guitar mags about the relative merits of Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai etc. as opposed to Eric Clapton, Peter Green, BB King etc.)

As far as the oud is concerned, I get the feeling that the real battle is traditional vs. modern/commercial. Audiences have shorter attention spans and different expectations, people need to sell records, conservatories have often replaced the traditional master-student way of teaching. From listening and reading it is apparent that what is played on the oud seems to have changed dramatically over the last hundred years or so, and whether this is good or bad is up to each person to decide I guess.

If I could think of one piece of advice based on my, albeit very limited, experience of the oud (+ guitar), it would be the following: don't think of the oud just as a fretless guitar, but try and delve into the more traditional types of music that are played on the oud. I have listed and described a lot of CDs representing Egyptian, Turkish, Iraqi, Armenian, etc. styles on my website at:

http://website.lineone.net/~david.parfitt/recordings.html

Mike also has audio clips of a lot of these CDs on this site under the 'Oudism' section, if you have not already seen it.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm preaching or being patronising - that's definitely not my intention. Good luck with your oud playing.

All the best

David
wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 3-9-2004 at 05:17 AM
Re: feeling.

Quote:
Originally posted by David Parfitt
Hi bluesyOud

I'm not sure there is such a serious speed vs. feeling debate with the oud, as compared to the guitar for example. (I used to play the guitar, and I remember endless arguments in guitar mags about the relative merits of Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai etc. as opposed to Eric Clapton, Peter Green, BB King etc.)

As far as the oud is concerned, I get the feeling that the real battle is traditional vs. modern/commercial. Audiences have shorter attention spans and different expectations, people need to sell records, conservatories have often replaced the traditional master-student way of teaching. From listening and reading it is apparent that what is played on the oud seems to have changed dramatically over the last hundred years or so, and whether this is good or bad is up to each person to decide I guess.

If I could think of one piece of advice based on my, albeit very limited, experience of the oud (+ guitar), it would be the following: don't think of the oud just as a fretless guitar, but try and delve into the more traditional types of music that are played on the oud. I have listed and described a lot of CDs representing Egyptian, Turkish, Iraqi, Armenian, etc. styles on my website at:

http://website.lineone.net/~david.parfitt/recordings.html

Mike also has audio clips of a lot of these CDs on this site under the 'Oudism' section, if you have not already seen it.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm preaching or being patronising - that's definitely not my intention. Good luck with your oud playing.

All the best

David
I agree with you one hundred percent David! You ain't preaching, you're just telling the truth. The oud is more than just a fretless guitar. It is a work of ancient art that has been passed down for over two thousand years. I think that no matter what happends to the tastes of the people of today, the oud will always be their! The day we have no oud in music is the day the world ends.

William F. Sparks
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-9-2004 at 06:07 AM

My granfather came from a village near
Istanbul!!!!many people came with him!!!
The town I live has ahuge amount of people like my grandfather.They came here bringing mandolins ,ouds,etc.Including
memories and feelings!!!!Oud for me is
the missing link between me and my past!!
Also I find more progressive to listen to
an armenian song that touches me ,
than studiing jazz melodic minor on an oud!!!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-9-2004 at 07:37 AM

Hi guys

It would be interesting to hear some of your thoughts on how oud playing can develop and evolve in the future.

Some of the top players such as Simon Shaheen, Adel Salameh and Anouar Brahem have been very successful in incorporating other types of music into their playing, but only after developing a real mastery of the more traditional style of playing. This seems to be the key - you can only really push back the boundaries once you know where the boundaries lie.

I have been reading some interesting info recently about how the understanding and performance of maqamat has changed over the last hundred years or so. Apparently there has been a concious drive to simplify the teaching of maqamat in conservatories in Cairo (and elsewhere I guess) to satify modern demands of performance and repertoire. In the process, a lot of the richness and indiosyncracies that used to be found in these maqamat has been lost in the name of uniformity.

Personally, I think it's really important to try and encourage today's great oud players to record more traditional pieces from the repertoire and classical taqasim. We need to let them know that there is an audience out there for this kind of music. If this sort of music is not preserved for future generations to enjoy and study, then it could be lost forever. (Many people talk about a 'golden age' of oud playing early last century, but the big problem is that few (if any) recordings exist, so we just have to take their word for it.)

Look forward to hearing your views.

Best wishes

David
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-9-2004 at 08:09 AM

In my opinion an artist mustn't lose his identity.Picasso is famous as a Spanish man.He used technics from all over the world,he admired and was inspired from many cultures!!!His secret was tha he used all this influences open minded,but he
never lost his identity.I believe the same thing happens in music.Musisian Like Al di Meola,Hendrix,Miles Davis,Munir Bashir,
rabi Shankar where (or still are)open to new ideas ,but among all stands their personal identity.
I really like system of a down this nu-metal group.These guys are armenians.
Even if they don't play traditional armenian music their music has many elements from it!!!you can hear oud melodies near electric guitars,you can even hear armenian rythms in their music!!!
I believe that if someone loses his identity can never gain respect from people.
So I think that oud should be played
traditionally but with an open mind in new ideas !!!Rabi shankar and setar is an excellent example!!!!!:bowdown:
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 3-9-2004 at 10:16 AM

The feeling is the most important thing,we use the technique to express the feeling....
The oud is the voice of our soul,and each soul has a different voice,that's what makes us special....
Regards and respect to all:wavey:

Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-9-2004 at 11:46 AM

>I believe the same thing happens in >music.Musisian Like Al di >Meola,Hendrix,Miles Davis,Munir Bashir,
>rabi Shankar where (or still are)open to >new ideas ,but among all stands their <personal identity>

Bashir is well know for his ¨silence¨ and also the speed - nb. some of his plectrum technique is different and a massive sound is obtained due to the innovative style. Myself loves composers like Arvo Pärt (silence....) and Philip Glass more than most modern Arabic composers.

Best wishes

Ronny

Go To Top