Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: interesting Farid taqasim
ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-16-2009 at 07:50 PM
interesting Farid taqasim

Hi all. Here's an interesting taqasim I found where Farid apparently breaks from his usual sound and does some cool stuff with Ajam:
http://ahyasalam.com/play_song.php?songmd=cd9d199d2043b26655a69b3a0...
This is the first time I've heard him use a wound third course. He used a wound second course several times- in both Awel Hamsa taqasims and one Rabee taqasim that are on this site- but neverf a third, at least not that I could pin down.

Edit: Now that I listen to it again, his second course seems to be wound here as well. I've considered trying out this configuration but haven't gotten around to it yet.
alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 01:17 PM

I doubt this is Farid playing, not only for the taqseem itself, but mainly for the oud the man is playing.
Anybody liked its sound ?
I didn't, sorry !

yours truly
Alfaraby
ameer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 02:43 PM

I didn't particularly like the sound as a Farid fan, but generally speaking it's not too bad. You're right that it's not the usual Farid; the only word we have that it is is the site's, and their stuff that I've heard so far has been authentic but who knows.
jass
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 03:41 PM

Thats no way in the world thats Farid!!!!!!!! Im serious. Its even a moveable bridge oud, which was never played by farid! Its a mix up.
mrkmni
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 04:04 PM

Definitely, he is not Farid, the oud sound and the recording quality ( recent) say so.
I think this is Nasser Shamma, may be trying to play Farid.
ameer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 05:52 PM

If he's trying to play Farid he's quite far from the mark.
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 08:20 AM

This is not Farid. I doubt that at his time oudists used a wound dd or gg strings. The first time I encountered wound dd strings was in the 90s before that the nylon were so common.

ameer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 12:33 PM

Really? I didn't know that. Do you know off hand what could come close? I would almost be willing to bet money that the second course in the Awel Hamsa taqasims is wound because it has that metallic twang to it.
michoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mooud again..

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 04:02 AM

Hi Folks!
I know this is a diferent conversation , but...NOBODY HAS FARIDĀ“S TAQASIMS MUSIC SHEET??
BBD
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 08:16 PM

Does anyone have Al rabee3 Sheet please
Alioud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Extremely Happy!

[*] posted on 1-28-2010 at 04:30 PM

There is no way that this Farid. It is of course not Naseer Shamma. Anyone who listened to Naseer enough would identify his Risha immediately, claiming that this is Naseer Shamma is also an insult for the man who's technique is only one million times better than this recording. It is also fair to say that Naseer never tried to "play" anyone, including the most important figures of Iraqi school.. He plays other people's music but never imitates anyone.

The D string in this recording is a wound string and wound D strings have been in the market for a really long time.. Sheriff Targan used wound DD (Tuned EE) back in the early 1900s.. Jameel Babshir used a wound DD (Also tuned EE) and Munir Bashir used wound DD all before 1950.. so it is not accurate to say they were uncommon. Yes, they were quite uncommon in Egypt but not in Iraq or Syria.

There is also no acoustic way to tell for sure whether this is a fixed or a floating bridge oud.. that's just a guess.

It is also quite unlikely that Farid tried wound G strings before they were still unused in Egypt by that time and the oud he played in Al-Rabee'a still retains it's last strings before he died and the D and G strings are both in Nylon.
This is the oud played last month by Ghassan Alyousif.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SINA5Dd8Fc

Alioud16@gmail.com

Go To Top