Printable Version  
Author: Subject: gut strings
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 06:23 AM
gut strings

Hi fellow oudists :wavey:,

did anybody ever tried Kürschner gut strings??

Are they worth the price ( +- 65€ ), and are the bass string pure gut too? Did they last longer than "usual" strings?

Everytime I´m looking for new strings they bring me into temptation, but they are really expensive!!

Sounfiles of gut-stringed ouds are very wellcome:bounce:

Cheers Marcus

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
Marcus
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 06:25 AM

WHY DOES MY BOUNCER :bounce:NEVER BOUNCE???

FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bayyati Shuri.....

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 06:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marcus  

WHY DOES MY BOUNCER :bounce:NEVER BOUNCE???

Hi Marcus!:buttrock:

Your Bouncer is not dancing man! Maybe Needs some new string to go........:D

Regarding the gut, Sounds a Little warmer and Less Sustain But their good depending on the players taste.

Have Fun Hope You Find Your Perfect sets for you.

Yes They Do Last a Long Time Compare to other sets!!!:xtreme:

P:S: I'm also ordering Kueschner PVF's (Damn How Do You Spell That!:D)

Cheers,

Flip:airguitar:

Every time I Hear The Oud, I fall into a Deep Long Trance of Perpetual Bliss!

"Naseem Al Rooh"
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 07:51 AM

Hi Marcus

I've not tried gut strings, but I've been meaning to do so. As you say, it's an expensive business. I think when and if I get a new oud with a fixed bridge I'll try it. My current oud has a floating bridge and I'm not sure how that would work.

The sound would likely be very clear but with less sustain - a little like nylgut (I use the high tension nylgut set and to be honest it's probably a much more practical and economical solution. Nonetheless, experiments must be done!)

I'm not aware of anyone else having done it, but I'm sure somewhere in the history of these forums there must be some experimental soul who has.

As i understand it, there's a Kurschner set of gut strings but the bases are the standard metal-overwound nylon filament construction. Modern gut strings don't tend to work very well for bases. Lutenists usually use gut bases which have an increased density - either "gimped" strings, which have been wound together with a single strand of fine wire, or "loaded" - soaked in metal salts. Non-purists often mix plain gut with nylon overwound strings on the low pitch strings. I think this works perfectly well, so was planning to use this solution on the oud (a single gimped string will cost about £20. gulp!)

Incidentally, I wouldn't think you'd need to go with Kurschner just because they offer a set. Gut from any other maker (pyramid, aquila, gamut for larger gauge strings) would probably work out at a similar price and at that cost, it's probably best to try to work out a set of gauges that will work best for your string length, rather than taking a standard set. In terms of quality, I think they all tend to be of a similar standard, but with some differences in final tone, which would come down to a matter of personal preference.

Trial and (expensive) error! Please report back and let us know what you find. If you can make 2 recordings, one with newish nylon strings and one with your gut set, that would make a very useful comparison!
omazuz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 10:04 AM
Lenzner plain gut

Hello
I'm using Lenzner plain gut - g and c (Arabic tuning) on my Belhaiba oud. The rest of the strings I'm using is Pyramid lute.
Regarding the gut stings- the sound is deeper and warmer, its not so easy to make glissando (I'm a beginner but my master teacher-Ihab NI'mer- used them and felt the same), other then that they need to be maintained- olive oil when they r new and clean them every day- other wise they will not last - they r sensitive and can break easily.
I think its worth it- they cost in Israel +- 10$ for pair.
Where can u order complete set ? I want to try it
Thanks
Ofer
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 12:52 PM

If you want to try all gut basses (i.e. unweighted) your best bet would be to contact one of the historical gut string makers who are making strings for the lute. In addition to Aquila (Mimmo Perrufo) and Gamut (Dan. Larson) there is Northern Renaissance Instruments (Eph. Segerman). I am not sure if the Pyramid gut strings are intended for plucked instruments. I know nothing about Kurschner or Lenzner strings.
The thicker gut basses must be constructed in a manner that makes them more flexible and elastic in order to work on a plucked instrument.
Although costly, all gut basses - by all accounts - last a long time whereas the thin gut trebles generally have a low life expectancy (a week or so).
Gut strings are sensitive to humidity change that can cause tuning - not to mention string breakage 'at the worst possible moment' - problems when used in 'live' concerts. Professional lutenists who may record in the temperature/humidity controlled environment of a recording studio using all gut 'historically authentic' stringing may be unlikely to risk using all gut stringing when 'on tour' for these reasons.

So , for those brave souls willing to try all gut - as DaveH suggests - let us all know how it works out.
FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 01:02 PM

Hi omazuz!

Why did U not use the Pyramid Lute nylon trebles?

Are they not good?

Hi!jdowning!

Did U already tried the Pyramid Lute? If yes How did you find the nylon trebles?

Philip:airguitar:

"Naseem Al Rooh"
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 01:12 PM

Yes, I have been using Pyramid lute strings for well over 30 years. I prefer their PVF trebles to their plain (unpolished) nylon.
No comparison to all gut stringing, however!
FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jdowning  
Yes, I have been using Pyramid lute strings for well over 30 years. I prefer their PVF trebles to their plain (unpolished) nylon.

Thank for the reply....

Yes its Very far sound compare the gut strings.

Gut Strings has a very classic sweet sound to it.

If you see all recordings here and there also videos everywhere the sound becomes very thin its like your using PVF's

Quite wierd don't you think.

For Example. You have a Amazing gut string set then you've been playing it for quite some time now and you are used to that sweet warm sound when you play.

Then after......

You want to practice and watch some videos to learn something...

Then bam!:shrug:

all the videos are thin sounding then when you play with them or jam them on the video you will here a big difference after a while you will notice that your Oud sound becomes Very Flat and dull and not responsive as the video that you are watching. and you can't keep up coz u sound like a flat liner!

Anybody feels this coz I felt it too. Hopefully You Understand My Grip Here.

So Now I dont like anymore gut or flat sounding strings! :xtreme:

Then I said to myself...... Damn!

My Tone Tone sucks Man!:shrug:

But im Using the Best Gut or silk string....

BTW goodluck!:applause:

Happy Hunting!

Philip:airguitar:

"Naseem Al Rooh"
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 03:15 PM

Hi!

Quote: Originally posted by DaveH  
..., it's probably best to try to work out a set of gauges that will work best for your string length, rather than taking a standard set.

... which is no problem, when ordering directly from Kuerschner. He will manufacture accourding to the given measurement of the oud, length from bridge to nut and from nut to peg, and given tension desire.

Regarding his website only the first 2 courses are gut, the 3rd too, if desired, but courses 4-6 are wound nylon.

But when I see the humidity, maintenance and lifetime problems, I ask myself, if Nylgut isn't the better choice.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Marcus
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 05:31 AM

Hello all :wavey:
Thanx for the replys!!

Hi Flip :wavey:

Quote:

P:S: I'm also ordering Kueschner PVF's (Damn How Do You Spell That!:D)

Looks a bit like turkish spelling:), but germans use the ü to:rolleyes:

Quote:

Have Fun Hope You Find Your Perfect sets for you.

Thanx man,I`ll try to keep the fun, but as soon as it comes to string-choosing-changing-business its kinda hard for me.Since ever I´m a player:airguitar:,figure out sounds,strings Hardware etc is not really my thing.Actually I`d love to have a "roady":D

Quote:

they need to be maintained- olive oil when they r new and clean them every day

UUUCH one more reason for a roady!!!

Quote:

Where can u order complete set ? I want to try it

Matthias, a member of this wonderfull forum sells KUERSCHNER sets.

If I can jump over my shadow and spend this much money on strings,I`ll report and record.

Cheers

Marcus

Marcus
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 05:35 AM

WHY DOES MY QUOTE`S DO NOT HAVE THE.......Originally posted by.....?

Help pleeeeeeeeeeease!!:bowdown:

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 06:40 AM

Hi Marcus!

Quote: Originally posted by Marcus  

Matthias, a member of this wonderfull forum sells KUERSCHNER sets.

I prefer ordering directly from the manufacturer ... he will manufacture the strings for MY oud's dimensions.

But as I mentioned before ... the Kuerschner set isn't a complete gut set ... only the trebble strings are gut strings, the rest is wound nylon.

Quote:
WHY DOES MY QUOTE`S DO NOT HAVE THE.......Originally posted by.....?

You need to use "rquote" instead of "quote" ... click on the quote button to see the needed syntax, cause the quote button always leads to a "rquote".

Greetings from Germany

Chris

Go To Top