Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Zanneh - Sokoun Trio
fhalaw
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 09:49 AM
Zanneh - Sokoun Trio

I am probably not the best person to review the Festival Monde Arab in Montreal. Since I just go to a fraction of the shows available(I find it kind of expensive).
But in general, although a successful festival and a lot of musicians from different calibers participate, it is too integration oriented. A lot of excellent musicians performing very medicore jazz and flamenco and you name it. I saw Furat Qadouri this year and although an excellent qanoun player his arrangement was pretty bad. The only original stuff that happens if flag-waving choir singing lebanese events, which although I am lebanese are really not my cup of tea.

HOWEVER, I saw this show last week, a new group, locals from Montreal Sokoun. Formed by three montreal based musicians, I can say I was very very happy with the show.
They started off with their own Samai composition which was pretty good and then went into an assortment of thier own instrumentals. Also to top it off, ended with some Anour Braham and Longa Hijaz kar.

It was a Trio: Oud, violin and a percussionist that was top notch with the Derbake, Riq,Daff and other drum type stuff I dont even know what they are called.

My only criticism is that I am (ofcourse) much more biased to the Oud and I found that there wasn't enough forcus on it but more on the violin.

Glad to support our city's talents!

http://sokountrio.com/

Go To Top