Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The history of the risha
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-29-2009 at 05:00 PM

As far as I know, all bird species - including protected birds of prey - 'molt' every year. Their feathers wear out with use and so, naturally, once a year, the old feathers fall to the ground to be replenished with new growth feathers.
So, why kill any bird to obtain feathers, just pick up the old discarded feathers at the appropriate time of year. The flight components of the feather may be worn but the quills should be fine?
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 11-30-2009 at 04:14 AM

The issue of birds of prey has been commented on a lot in relation to harpsichord. The strength of the material is especially important for the harpsichordist, who might not feel like replacing say 180 quills a couple of times a year! Meat-eaters have stronger feathers. Molecular aspects rule. The primary flight feathers are big and strong.

Let's imagine ourselves in the year 1200. What could we make a risha out of? Wood dries out and changes over time, no good. Horn & hoof might be fine but would require work with precise tools to make a thin snappy plectrum. Quills of large raptors only require pressure and soaking to make a flattened material with the right snap, elasticity, and durability. Quills were already used for pens, they were everywhere, logical to extend to making plectra for various instruments.

I would also imagine hard leather being used.

It was only when the durable plastics like Delrin and Clcon came along in the 1960s that leather was displaced on the harpsichord, where it had ruled during the "revival" of the early 20th century. Bird quill had been used before 1900, but even leather required less maintenance than quill. Quill requires frequent oilings. Oil from the player's forehead is best! Delrin was a revolution, back to the sound and feel of quill, but it lasts 20 years!

Now Delrin is universal and only the hard core authenticists use quill. Shaping each plectrum with a scalpel is work enough for a few years.

Within the harpsichord, tiny plectra of bone/horn would not last long enough, even with oilings, but out in the open on one big plectrum, it's fine.

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-30-2009 at 12:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jdowning  
As far as I know, all bird species - including protected birds of prey - 'molt' every year.

Every spring and fall.

Quote:
The flight components of the feather may be worn but the quills should be fine?

Often the whole feather is intact.

But it wouldn't be easy to find feathers in the wild. So it might be worth to ask zoos and falconries at these times of the year.

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Quills were already used for pens, ...

Yes, usually goose feathers. BTW ... did you notice, that in many historical paintings white feathers are used as a risha?

Quote:
Oil from the player's forehead is best!

"Oil of Olaf" :D

Do you know the film Kentucky Fried Movie, where they pumped oil from the faces of young teenagers? ;)

Oil fom the human skin might be similar to that of birds?

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-30-2009 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jdowning  
As far as I know, all bird species - including protected birds of prey - 'molt' every year. Their feathers wear out with use and so, naturally, once a year, the old feathers fall to the ground to be replenished with new growth feathers.
So, why kill any bird to obtain feathers, just pick up the old discarded feathers at the appropriate time of year. The flight components of the feather may be worn but the quills should be fine?

The problem here in Sweden is to find an eagle feather when the eagle is rare. Then, it is not a good idea to advertise for eagle feathers when it can contribute negatively to the eagle. I prefer other channels to obtain eagle feathers and buy from the taxidermist. They may have old single damaged feathers.
The problem for eagles here in Sweden is egg collectors, down from the continent and particularly German collectors. Several places where eagles have their nests are guarded during the summer.

Best wishes

Ronny
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 11:14 AM

Just want to update that I have not forgotten what I promised. My old photos are scanned and a small study how to make horn risha is soon online. ;)

Best wishes

Ronny
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ronny Andersson  
... is soon online. ;)

Thanks ... it might be nice to open a new thread and post the link here.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 06:38 PM

Yo Ronny, or anyone else.... I've seen a vid on youtube, but that was just finishing a horn risha, can anyone help with how to make one from scratch?

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 10:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sazi  
can anyone help with how to make one from scratch?

We bought pieces of buffalo horn on a medieval market and my girlfriend made me a horn risha. She cutted it to 1mm with a dremel and then sanded it with sandpaper to the desired shape and thickness. At last it was oiled.

It's sooooooo great ;)

Greetings from Germany

Chris
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top