Printable Version  
Author: Subject: couple of instructional vids
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 11-21-2009 at 04:32 AM
couple of instructional vids

HI Friends...

My oud student has from Znojmo has been here a couple of days, and although the battery on my vid cam is almost dead we still managed to film a couple of basic clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRfQ7MBuqqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5V9o0QwcSQ

...nothing too serious just something that might help some beginners...

Al Yahudi
Oud Addict

Mood: Sahbak

[*] posted on 11-21-2009 at 06:55 PM

Dear Mr. Powell ,

Would it be possible for you to post some instructional videos of basic and a little advanced ornamentation techniques ?

I think myself and other newbies here would very much appreciate it.
I personally loved your recorded video lesson and the way you explained things throughly.

Thank you,
Shalom
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-22-2009 at 12:48 AM

Thanks Shalom

I will keep all of your suggestions in mind, and when Jan (my student) comes again next time, we will touch on these things you are suggesting. I enjoy these lessons very much myself - and it gives me a way to brush up on things and clarify... Jan is wanting to come once a month now, so if i get my EU residency permit as expected, then the clips will be more frequent.

shayrgob
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 09:19 PM

Edward: Thank you for your efforts! However, all the turkish lingo is very confusing!!! I'm at about week 5 in my oud lessons and we never touched on any of the turkish stuff.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-25-2009 at 01:37 AM

Yes... these differences in terms is very confusing. But the only way around it is simply to dive in and start using the terms. Probably what is confusing - and could be improved in my teaching - is that perhaps I could standardise my own terminology? I tend to intermix Turkish and Arabic terms, and makam/maqam, as well as playing styles.... but then again, this has always been my goal: to intermix Turkish and Arabic music.

To me actually, a serious oud student/player must be at least familiar with both Turkish and Arabic terms... this way a teacher or player can describe things using either terminology, and you will understand - - - afterall, when you get out into the real world of oud players, and makam/maqam players, you are going to meet people using ALL terms.... so eventually you must learn it all.

I am really happy with Jan, my student because he just accepted that the notes are named "dugah -segah...." etc and didn't worry at all about how this corelated to Western notation.... and now in a very short time he has memorised the note names and the makam system is starting to make sense to him.

Also important to understand is that there is no "CORRECT" terminology. You have several ways to name and talk about things. . . and each way is use predominantly in a different geographical region. This is the beauty and richness of oud music. There have been major, attempts to standardize but still, thank God, differences persist.

So please resist the temptation to want things to be too easy - rather, take the extra time to appreciate and learn about the various oud schools available ---- OR, if you want a more straight-ahead approach, then stick strictly with just one school of learning (either Turkish, or Arabic, or....)

my2cents;)

Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 11-25-2009 at 01:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Edward Powell  

my2cents;)

I'll buy that for a dollar:D

Well put Edward!

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Go To Top