Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sunbati..
Danielo
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

thumbup.gif posted on 11-27-2009 at 01:01 PM
Sunbati..

I'm listening to Sunbati's Hijaz Kar Taqsim for (at least) the thousandth time... I never cease to be amazed :)

The way it unfolds gradually in the beginning is just incredible :xtreme:

How can a taqsim be so perfect, haunting and deeply emotional ? How is it possible to have such a perfectly well-balanced construction in an improvisation?

For sure Sunbati is a musical genius, but... here is my question:

did he just sat down with his oud, thinking 'let's play something in Hijaz Kar', or did he had already more or less planned his musical piece (besides his deep knowledge of maqamat)?

please don't misunderstand me, by no means I try to lessen his achievement !

Dan
Segura
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-28-2009 at 03:05 AM

I believe it is a state of mind that money can't buy.
It also escapes to technical matters.
You have to see how the fingers of the left hand are just 'walking by' on the neck.
The mood is insides the notes, without added effects.
It is a travel in the mind.
One has to remain humble, not asking, wishing to be 'visited'.
And helped.

Alain
bibo10
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-28-2009 at 09:21 AM

He is brilliant. in my very humble opinion he is the best ever. and that is because of the reasons you mention...his music is very deep and rich. I also love el qasabji alot and farid, but el sunbati is just brilliant when it comes to the emotion.

+++++++++++
Michael-GOD BLESS EGYPT
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-28-2009 at 10:57 AM

Is there any youtube video or link to a recording?

mrkmni
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-28-2009 at 04:01 PM

I believe it is a combination of these :
1- he is very talented oud player he started playing very young with his father.
2- he has a very good knoledge of maquamat

but for the taqassim it is obvious that they were well prepared in advance as any song even.
I found many phrases that were repeated at different taqassims.
Segura
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-29-2009 at 04:03 AM

Yes, you are right about phrases that come from other taqassims. It is never an "ex nihilo" creation. Music wanders.
And it wanders with wanderers... For instance thanks to the gypsies from India.
Alain
mrkmni
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-30-2009 at 05:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Reda Aouad  
Is there any youtube video or link to a recording?

Hi Reda, the whole CD of sombati is here:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8300
Danielo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 07:01 AM

Thanks guys for your input.. Indeed it is not easy to understand where does genius come from... especially in music.

Reda, I was looking for this thread but was not able to find it, thanks mrkmni :)

Dan
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 02:26 PM

And here is a few links for videos Reda:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtM52MfsL-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRu3tWoiZXY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QPHBRTXFmQ&feature=related

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 05:09 AM

Daniel,

Based on my own experience as a composer and improviser in other "styles", I doubt Sunbati himself could answer your questions precisely. Composition and improvisation are parallel activities, and Sunbati was indeed also a songwriter.

There's a pool of ideas and phrases that simmer beneath the conscious mind, with some access granted at sleep-waking boundaries, or e.g. when taking a shower (each composer is different). During these access periods, there's a more or less conscious process that takes place, where the head tries to assemble and "cut and try" atoms of melody or chord progressions together to meet some deeper call from the heart. After that relatively short access time, it's mostly forgotten unless you have access to and make use of a dictaphone and paper and an instrument.

But then it does come back later in a more digested form, either when sitting down to compose, or when just playing improv. So The process is never either completely conscious or completely spontaneous, because the raw matter of improvisation is not random single notes, it's "atoms" that might be chord progressions, or entire phrases, or just a couple of bars of melody. Such an "atom" will keep reappearing in different forms, with part of it being conscious, and other parts disappearing beneath the threshhold of consciousness, until the composer makes use of it, sometimes in more than one context. At some point it's considered "taken" or "used", and will stop being considered available atoms.

The same process is used in composition and in serious improv like Taqasim. In Western music, the atoms are different than in Taqsim, because we use harmony and counterpoint that sometimes are even more important than melody. For instance a bass line might be the core hook in a pop song that animates it and makes it unique and loaded with Tarab.

The best music comes directly from "the heart", or "outside", or "above", in a moment of intense mental focus such that old atoms can't overwhelm the more original stream and seriously get in the way.

Mediocre music is just recycling old recycled atoms.

But Old atoms per se can range from quite original melodies with brilliant lyrics, to say the Louie-Louie progression in A or a commonplace 12 bar blues that to the composer seems to think is quite unique at the moment! The composer is also at times deaf to his own re-use of melodies, such that he/she will put in considerable effort into developing a theme that to others sounds trite, because it was already used in one or more tunes. This temporary blindness/deafness protects the composer in such cases from discouragement.

Completely 100% original composition is never possible, and several compositional atoms might have similar layout internally. And there are degrees.

The beauty of the Taqsim as a format is that the composer doesn't have to deal with a very complex "form" in which to assemble atoms, the "rules of the game" are simple, a lot like Haiku, and the composer thus has a better chance of directly connecting the heart to his fingers, at least making that connection for listeners who appreciate that particular musical form. A good taqsim composer like Sunbati can bypass more of the redundant old atoms, for a good moment now and then anyway. A good Taqsim can arise at that time and some new (re-usable) atoms will emerge, and maybe come to be accepted as part of the "traditional" Seyir for a given Maqam.

It's improbable that Sunbati would NOT explore some of the previous atoms that come to mind, when playing between Taqsim concerts. Who knows? He might go as far as to exactly decide on which atoms to apply next time, and prepare detailed modulation pathways and "exit strategies" that he will try to develop e.g. on the next Nihawand taqsim. Because the creation of Taqasim is a distinct process, different from say Blues, the idea of consciously preparing a whole taqsim ahead of time does not seem to me like the most efficient use of its specific mental states, and I cannot be certain how far Sunbati typically went in preparation. That's the best I can state it right now, as there are aspects to Taqsim that are unique, and I'm not yet experienced enough in that genre.
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 05:50 AM

Thank you all for the links.
And thank you Fernand for the great contributions to the forums :) It's always a pleasure to read your comments.

charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 06:08 AM

Hey Fernand,

Well put, a fine philosophical and musicological discourse, from the heart and mind. Thank you :airguitar: :bowdown: :applause:

Best Wishes, Charlie
FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bayyati Shuri.....

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 02:51 PM

Thanks for your thoughts Tony!:applause:

I just want say about sunbati is he is a really talented and gifted musician and composer. I like his composition because it sounded dark and melacholic definetely "haunting" as danielo stated.

What I want to add is if you hear closely all his compositions there are a lot of times he kind of mumble or say "hhmm" "hhmm" on the recording. for me I think this is the part that he definetely feels the tarab here in these precised moments. Cool don't you think?:D

cheers

Philip

Sunbati Rules!:buttrock:

Live in Peace......

Every time I Hear The Oud, I fall into a Deep Long Trance of Perpetual Bliss!

"Naseem Al Rooh"

Go To Top