Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My hand rests over the sound hole - my arms are long?
shayrgob
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-30-2009 at 10:23 PM
My hand rests over the sound hole - my arms are long?

Ok so I've been playing for about 5 weeks now and I never really thought too much about how I held the oud till now and for some reason I'm just now having a tough time with holding it. I'm trying to hold it correctly and I know that I need to have my hand over the pick guard but my hand naturally rests over the sound hole. If I try to position my hand over the pick guard I will bend me rest at a 90 degree angle.

I tried having my hand parallel to the strings but hen I can't support the oud with my arm.

And my other issue is the edge of the oud putting too much pressure on my forearm and it's pushing on my nerves....which probably isn't too good.

Any tips?
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 05:35 AM

Hi shayrgob!
There are NO rules about how to hold a oud! Just hold it in a way that makes YOU feel confortable!

Positioning of the pick guad varies from maker to maker! so again, you don't NEED to "hit" the pick guad!

But over the big hole is a litle too much! Can you make it so that the pick is at the edge og the big hole?

When it comes to pressor om forarm: either get used to it, or put a cloth on your forarm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOelWUT7M_I )

Good luck man
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 11:39 PM

Luttgutt is right. Little value in heroics. Some players support the oud entirely with the right arm, and some don't. Holding the oud in the vertical plane looks nice, and making eye contact with audience, never looking at the fingerboard, proves you know where stuff is, and is another cool trick, but allow me to prove it's not important. Can we agree that some of the greatest musicians are blind, but that there are very few serious musicians who are deaf from birth? In other words, it's hearing and not sight that is important for music? If that is the case, how can tricks that only the sighted can appreciate, like holding the oud perfectly straight and not looking at the fingerboard, possibly be very important?

If you are pressing a hard edge against a nerve, you may cause long term neurological problems, your body is warning you, so find a COMFORTABLE position, or use some accessories, like a little pillow. If your arms are long, you should not be limited by your DNA to only picking over the soundhole, as that's a very specific timbre, so find ways to play everywhere, near the bridge as well. Unless you are a serious masochist, it is when the oud falls into your arms every day, several times a day, that you play it a lot, and play it well. It should be a joyful communion, not a time to tense up your muscles and smoke your last cigarette blindfolded. The more you play it, the more you can learn, and the more your oud resonates to what you play, something even happens with the wood, and the better the instrument sounds.

At some point you will inevitably lose some of that enchantment, so do everything you can to make the honeymoon last and last!

Love your oud often, and it will love you back! :D

Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 01:02 AM

Hello S

If you could post a couple of photos from front and side it would be helpful - particularly where the pressure is on yur right arm. With this info I may be able to help you with this.

Best wishes

Leon
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 02:29 AM

Hi :wavey:

Do not dismiss playing over the sound hole there are some lovely sounds here. I too find a more natural hand and arm position just slightly over the sound hole. I never play over the pickguard because I find it bends my wrist too much and creates tension which will then cause the left hand to sympathise and press the strings down to hard. We all have to experiment and find our own way. Good luck.

Best Wishes, Charlie
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 03:01 AM

Quote:

My hand rests over the sound hole - my arms are long?

No, your oud is just to small:D

Cheers,

Marcus (formerly known as "monkey-arm-mark")

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 04:59 AM

Hello Charlie

How are you doing??

I agree with what you say, with each oud there will be a sweet spot and you do get a very nice sound nearer the sound hole. I play closer to the sound hole than I used to do, the strings are also less 'tense' there as it is further from the bridge. Its the same with guitar - I play guitar over the sound hole, generally fingerstyle on a steel string acoustic.

I was more interested in the lack of comfort you are experiencing as this can give rise to tension in playing habits.

Cheers

Leon
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 05:59 AM

Hi Leon

Im fine mate, hope you are too. Look forward to seeing you at next meet. Sounds like they've gone well with Nizar and Manchester.

I could'nt agree more when you say each oud has it's own sweet spot !!! Find this and then comfort and posture will usually settle to compliment.

Having said that, round backed instruments can be a pain !!!

The things we do for ouds eh?

Best Wishes, Charlie
FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bayyati Shuri.....

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 06:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ararat66  

with each oud there will be a sweet spot and you do get a very nice sound nearer the sound hole.

Hi!:wavey:

I Agree that each oud has its sweet spot some ouds are more clearer and rounder when plucked near the soundhole or over it. but some it will sound too fat or ethier close to more classical guitar sound.

Choose w/c one is the best sound produced for for ears. Regarding on the forearm which may cause damage on your nerves etc. make sure that your not putting a lot of pressure. dont push your forearm too much. cause more pressure it will also effect your right hand in order to make some freely movements from reesha techniques. And I find that my Oud sounds more better if plucked before the soundhole between the soundhole and pickguard. Coz it will also effect the tensions of the strings. If You plucked at soundhole u will feel a loose string tension. so maybe for some people it's harder to plucked consistently coz the strings are flabby compare to at the pickguard or near the bridge. I find It easier near the bridge coz when I pluck the strings it comes back fast to its normal position compare to plucking over the soundhole.

1. Find the a Position to Work with. (Right hand Elbow Position - High or medium or low as perpendicular to the strings.) (Forearm High or Medium or Low as perpendicular to the strings.) Check also Right leg Position Support.

2. Check if you like the sound & Timbre

3. Then check if it works better in techniques like better risha movements. easy plucking, or easy for tremolo etc etc...etc....

4. Then stay with it if it works. If not repeat the procedure no.1 until u find which's works best.

Some rules are made to be broken, especially some cases.

Have Fun!:buttrock:

The Forearm is just a support. and you can put a long wrist band like other members have suggested here.

Cheers

Philip:airguitar:

Every time I Hear The Oud, I fall into a Deep Long Trance of Perpetual Bliss!

"Naseem Al Rooh"
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 09:18 AM

One other thing

Remember you can vary the place you pluck the string depending on what you want to 'say' musically so exploring the sounds is what we do.

:)

Leon
FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bayyati Shuri.....

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 09:51 AM

HI!

BTW Can U Post Some Pictures or Video so we can All see exactly what u are sayin here.

Oud Size is also an Issue here. Because not all people are the same.Some have big arms and longer.

Cheers

Philip:airguitar:

Every time I Hear The Oud, I fall into a Deep Long Trance of Perpetual Bliss!

"Naseem Al Rooh"

Go To Top