Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 01:05 PM
Naseer Shamma on Ali oud

hi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5atkrFr5PY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HtN4B4B3Cw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMR2VXzptEw

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 07:20 PM

good work guys Congrat.
are those ouds lattice braced or ladder bracing?

Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 07:41 PM

Great sound, sounds like a nomex sandwich top to me, can anyone translate what they are saying?

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Alioud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Extremely Happy!

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 03:52 AM

Thank you Fadel for posting the videos...

Katakofkam the 3 ouds for Naseer Shamma are ladder braced. and Sazi, no, they are not Sandwich tops.. they are usual tops but with a volume and resonance that surpasses any nomex top.

I made him 3 ouds to choose from, all three were Indian Rosewood bowl.
One oud had a Master Grade WR Cedar with AAA Cedar Bracing
One Oud had a Master Grade Engleman Spruce with AAA Engleman bracing
One oud had a Master Grade Sitka Spruce with Master Grade bracing

I thought he will choose one oud, but after around 4 hours of playing and comparing, he took all three because each oud had a different personality and he wanted to have a different oud for different occasions, one for the Solos (The Cedar top) , one for the Orchestra (The Sitka top because of it's unusual clarity, low overtones and very clear separation), and the Engelman because he didn't want anyone to take it :) .. Personally I loved the Engelman spruce more than the other 2 ouds, but that's just me.

Finally a day came when I killed his Yaroub oud.. it was really starting to annoy me with it's buzzing and poor bass response and reduced clarity over the years.

I also made a similar oud with an Engelman top for Ghassan Alyousif.. Another similar but slightly smaller oud with a Cedar top for his Wife.... For some odd reason, Dina's oud which has a Cedar top and Engelman spruce bracing was the loudest.. It was so loud I hated the oud because you can't play anything next to it!! but Dina's Risha is so soft, it shouldn't be of any concern and actually this should help her when she plays with her husband who has a strong Risha technique.
Alioud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 03:54 AM

I should also apologize to Norumba, who wanted to a buy a 7 strings oud from me during a time when I had major depression and I was totally away from life and lost interest in everything, I didn't even read anything here on Mike's for a long time.

I am back and happy again..
Alioud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 03:57 AM

I also heard that Faruk Turunz made a lattice braced oud and failed to quote my name and called me (Some people).. I can't forget that he actually mentioned Jameel and Damman by name when he talked about the Nomex top.

Anyway, Congratulations for Usta Faruk and I wish we could hear the lattice oud.. I am quite sure that someone with his expertise will produce something far better than my work.
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 10:06 AM

Hi Ali,

Could you please send me your email, I couldn't send you U2U message from some reason?

Thanks
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 12-22-2009 at 10:22 PM

Nice guitar...:)
FastForward
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 01:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JamesOud  
Nice guitar...:)

That was my reaction, it sounds like a guitar.

While I don't like this sound, I think for someone who likes this it might be a good choice.

I also respect the effort a lot and think Ali should be congratulated on that.
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 01:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alioud  
I also heard that Faruk Turunz made a lattice braced oud and failed to quote my name

Hello Alioud.

As we were getting prepared for Woodstock Invitational Luthiers Showcase my assistants wanted me to make a lattice braced oud and I accepted this proposal. There was no enough time for making several experimentations and the result was not satisfactory so we withdrew from taking it with us to the States. I accept that it was a fault to make a proclamation before reaching a successful result.
That is to say, I did not fail quoting your name but making a satisfactorily made lattice braced oud.:))

I will quote your name of course whenever I manage to make a triumphant one.

Best regards and good wishes for you and your continuous success on your innovative researches.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Alioud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 02:02 AM

JamesOud...
The oud itself actually sounds like a typical floating bridge oud, but Mr. Naseer's playing is very different from the traditional oud.
Thank you Fastforward for your kind word and congratulations.
This is the type of sound I personally like and play and continue to improve..

Now... Usta Frauk, do you have any idea how much your words mean to me??? I am happy beyond expression for your kind words.
I am sure, you will triumph in the lattice braced oud and you will get more than a satisfactory result. I lost 11 soundboards total to make my first successful lattice braced oud and I am quite confident you won't need as many with your expertise.

"Best regards and good wishes for you and your continuous success on your innovative researches" .. I swear I will print this with your name and hang it on my wall... this really means a lot to me.

Alioud16@gmail.com
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 04:00 AM

The perfect sound for a floating bridge oud, superb! Beautifully clear ringing tone and great sustain, well done Master Ali!:applause:

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
ameer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 08:51 PM

Very nice oud tone. My favorite was towards the beginning where he had a nice traditional sound going. At one point later it sounded almost like those stereotypical Chinese instruments... the name escapes me and it's too late to bother looking it up. Anyway, congrats on some great work.
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 12-24-2009 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alioud  
I swear I will print this with your name and hang it on my wall... this really means a lot to me.

I call this "Oud fraternity" Alioud.

Go To Top