Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Pickgard position and risha
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 01:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sazi  
Well, you see in that table, when you pluck at 1/10th position, you get an E harmonic on a C string, well when I tap my oud (or sing into it) the body (air?) resonance is Eb.

OK, so you mean the construction of the oud imply one note or a specific frequency in resonance... Don't really know about this. But in this case why E (1/10th of C strings) should resonate, if we want to eliminate it by plucking the harmonic node ?
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 06:17 AM

[rquote

.... making it A=415, which was a common historical tuning .....

[/ rquote]

A diversion but this comment from Sazi caught my eye. In fact A415 pitch has no common historical basis but is a modern invention of the 'early music' fraternity derived from the modern orchestral A440 pitch standard that became an International standard in 1939.

For those interested in historical instrument pitches check out the tables on pages 495 to 511 in Dr Hermann Helmholtz treatise "On the Sensations of Tone" available free from the Internet Archive website at

http://www.archive.org/details/onsensationsofto00helmrich

There is only one example of an A415 pitch from the 270+ entries tabulated and only two examples of A440 pitch. Otherwise pitch standards used historically by instrument makers varied widely.

A415 pitch standard and tuning practices is subject of a discussion paper by Jeremy Montagu, past Curator of the Bate Collection of musical instruments in Oxford, England that may be of interest.

http://www.jeremymontagu.co.uk/415.pdf
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 02:34 PM

Ooops!! Thank's john, I stand corrected...

Apologies for inadvertantly mis-leading anyone with that post.

Perhaps then I should re-phrase what I said...,

I find the oud sounds better a semi-tone lower, (which just happens to be A415ish [oh alright, A415.3] in the newer numbers, but maybe it should be called Ab...), and has perhaps only slightly historical basis in the oud world in that it was the tuning often used by Munir Bashir... (the semitone flat that is... not that he used A415 (.3) as a reference)...Phew!!!

or not...

That first article by JM was quite humorous, it sums up the situation nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Danielo
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-14-2010 at 02:23 AM

Hi guys,

After this discussion (thanks everybody for your contribution :) )I decided to try this risha position... I practiced plucking in the middle of the pickckgard, i.e. at 1/10 of string length. At first it was a bit difficult because the strings lack elasticity that close to the bridge but I got used to it.

I use very low tension (a whole step lower) and it sounds really fine this way, very punchy. However there isn't much sustain, as probably the string displacement during the stroke is smaller. So, kind of Farido sound ;)

However I find it hard to have the upper course (c') sounding the same way as the lower ones... more practice is needed!

Dan
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 02:53 AM

Yes I changed my risha position too Danielo, at 1/10 of the string. I stick on c-G-D-A-FF-CC but I sanded my risha a bit more. The sound is classical and bright. Thanks for this helpful thread !
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top