Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud shop in Antalya
Ziad
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2010 at 02:57 AM
Oud shop in Antalya

Hi oud lovers

I'm going to antalya next month and would like to buy a turkish oud. Does anyone know where to find a shop in antalya?

I've been there for 5 years and visited an instrumental shop in a big center, but i forgot the adresse!

Ziad
MARTAN
Oud Addict

Mood: LOOKING FOR NEW HORZIONS

[*] posted on 1-9-2010 at 03:25 AM
Antayla

Hi,

We too bought an Oud Stand at THIS centre in Antayla, dont know address, but its on the main road, opposite the sea, nearing the main Market of jewellry shops on left hand side, and nearly opp. the clock tower leading to the harbour.

Good luck, Martin
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 1-9-2010 at 08:29 PM

There is a three-story shopping complex on Konyatti Cadessi and it has many music shops. A better source for saz than for oud, but you will find a few stores there with ouds in stock.

I think it is the corner building with the red tiled roof at http://tinyurl.com/yd6ss4m

Hope that helps.

Greg
Ziad
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-9-2010 at 11:54 PM

Yes :-) this is the place :-) . Thats true it is more a place for saz than oud. This is the only place I found in antalya..

Many thanks for your help.

Ziad
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 02:49 AM
Cancaya Music

Hi Ziad :wavey:

you can also try Cancaya Music

If you have the possibility to try his solidbody electric ouds, please do it and tell us how they are.

I wish you save travel, happy hollidays and lot of fun on your oud-safari.

Greet`s

Marcus

P.S.:You`ll find the adress in "contact"

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
Ziad
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 03:20 AM

Hi Marcus

I will defiantly visit Cancaya Music. They are located in the same center which I was looking for "Selekler Çarşısı" :-) :-)

If possible I will also try to get a sound clip and some pictures of the electric oud they have and posted here when I get back in february.

Ziad
Doc Bach
Oud Admirer

Mood: Missing Turkey

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 02:38 AM
Antalya Ouds

Hi, All -

I am new to the forum -- a long-time guitarist (classical, fingertyle and rock/metal when younger). I am just getting into the Oud and love the music.

I am in Antalya right now (Nov 4) for a few days and want to get a good Oud. I will try the shops noted in these posts.

I have heard there are cheap "knock off" ouds. Any advice on how to avoid those and get a good quality (high-end student, low-end concert oud)? How much should I expect to pay?

Thanks!

Craig
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 03:11 AM

high end student - low end concert oud should start from 600+- lira. I just come back from Istanbul, and those were the prices.
Student ouds - hm - started from 180 lira - not specialy recomanded,
Good ouds were - low end 1000 lira, good ouds 1000 EURO +.
Doc Bach
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 03:19 AM
Oud Prices

Thanks for the price breakdown. That is exactly what I needed. Can I ask your advice on one more thing?

I have been playing classical guitar for 20+ years and just purchased a top-end student instrument. It challenges me in just the right way and has a wonderful tone. I can play recitals and small gigs with it (I am not a professional player).

Is buying an Oud similar -- in the sense that a low-end good model or a top-end student model will get me quite a nice instrument. Or, does paying an extra few hundred lira to get a top concert instrument make a lot of difference. I won't be playing professionally, but I will be playing seriously and want an instrument I can grow into over several years.

Thanks!

Best,

Craig
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 03:27 AM

Hi Craig :wavey:

first....welcome to the forum!!!

As a long time guitarist you know how to differ a good from a bad instrument, or?
Is everything glued proper-the bridge on the soundboard, the neck/body junction, the rosettes?
You should take extra care for the pegs, which wood are they made of?(ebony is a good choice) do they slip back when you tune the oud, or are they very hard to move?
The action should be as low as possible and as high as necessary to avoid buzzing(Try open strings and every string(s) up and down the fingerboard.
Take a tuner with you, course many sellers dont know nothing about the oud. Btw, turkish ouds usually tuned E AA BB ee aa dd
(low to high)

How much you should expect to pay? You can get a acceptable beginner oud from 150€ on, but as the most "formerly-guitarists" you will kind of fall in love with the oud, so it is worth to spend a bit more.
My first oud I bought also in Antalya-for about 65€- the result was that I had to book another flight half a year later to Istanbul and get a better one.
If I where you, I`d spend something around 300-400€.

I wish you good luck and looking forward to see some pics of your oud when you`re back home.

Welcome again,

Marcus

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 01:33 PM

Turkish ouds, if you like this sound, are usually decently made and more realiable that Arabic ouds. So even if you buy top student model, it will not put you down for gigs.

Anyway - I prefere Arabic ouds - well, I am under the spell.
:shrug:
whisperoftheoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 02:18 PM

If you want to buy an oud from turkey please contact with us info@turkishouds.com
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 01:12 AM

Hi Craig,

Here is my experience.
I bought an oud from Cankaya (in Istanbul) 5 years ago. It is the model VMUI50 that you can see on the Cankaya website.
I paid for it about 1000 lira. At the time it was 650 euros.
I am very happy to choose that one and not an oud at 150 euros.
1000 lira today is about 500 euros or 700 USD.

Robert
Doc Bach
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-13-2010 at 05:02 AM
Thanks

Hi -

Thanks for the great advice. I went down to Cankaya and bought a great ud. I looked at this absolutely beautiful ud for about 2,400 TL, but the two gentleman in the store strongly recommended a top-end student model for 800 TL. In other words, they helped me find a Great beginner ud and did not up-sell me (even against my initial inclination - marriage saver). They also discussed the instrument with me for some time. I would definitely recommend them! Very cool.

So, I am back in Philly and actively looking for a teacher. Thanks for all of your help. I will post pics soon.

Best,

Craig

IknoArtifact
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 08:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by whisperoftheoud  
If you want to buy an oud from turkey please contact with us info@turkishouds.com

Do you have a web address ? Or perhaps a catalog ? I'd like to see some of your work. What kind of wood do you use?

Go To Top