[*] posted on 1-20-2010 at 11:35 AM
Movie about Naser Shama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUbeFmAQy4E&feature=fvsr
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-20-2010 at 12:54 PM

Thanks for the link Marina.
Very interesting playing techniques with risha, finger style (lute like) and even without use of the right hand at all - pretty difficult to master I imagine!
fhalaw
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 07:42 AM

Whatever people say about him, he is definitely a very big personality and extremely active in trying to culture a society that in my point created what culture and folklore was before totally losing it, to Haifa's and Mohd Hnaidi's mentally retarded songs.

A lot of us dont like some of his new stuff.. But all the best to him and his efforts.
It is very annoying that 80% of my arab friends of my age group (mid 20s) cannot sing or name one of the major, classical songs or pieces.. while the other 20% would know them thanks to the remixed Dalia club versions, or whatever her name was.

Btw after he did his show at Montreal (which I didn't go to), I saw him at this restaurant of which the owners are friends with the Festival Monde Arabe organizers , and they bring most artist for an after show drink/dinner. The guy was very,very modest in his dealings with his people, just ordered juice and vegetarian plates. I felt really bad, since I showered him with praises and then when he asked me what I thought of the show .. I told him I skipped it :(.
He was cool about it.
Alioud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Extremely Happy!

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 08:07 AM

fhalaw,

Let me add... Naseer Shamma is not just a very big personality.. He has already reserved a first class seat for him in the history of Arabic and Eastern music.. But I would go further and say, he might as well rewrite the history of Arabic music during his life time. His ambitions are universally big, his perseverance simply relentless and his visions are truly penetrating into the future.

I am glad to have him as a good friend. I am glad I lived during his time and listened to his music and to the now hundreds of people who compose and play based on his teaching and techniques.

Naseer Shamma will probably be the ISO standard of oud playing!! and he will live to see it.

Alioud16@gmail.com

Go To Top