Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mohamed Fadel Hussin 1985 oud
ethnicjazz
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-20-2004 at 01:34 PM
Mohamed Fadel Hussin 1985 oud

Hello
This is my freind's oud. He, Baz Shamoun, is a film maker. He needs the money now. It's for sale for 4500$. video clip available.
Call me (montreal) 514 521-1036
or Baz 514 597-0905
info@ethnicjazz.net

Mohamed Masmoudi
http://www.ethnicjazz.net/
ethnicjazz
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 08:18 PM

SOLD
Mohamed
:(

walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2005 at 02:59 AM

Did he actually sell it for 4500$?!!
And I sold mine for 1700$ including shipping:(:mad:

Regards
/Walid
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 06:59 AM
Mabrook.

Was it on clearance walkad?

J/K

Chris

Can we see the video mentioned in the first post?

My email is Chris_Khouri@hotmail.com

:xtreme:
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 02:14 AM

Chris, my point was that 4500$ for a Fadel is way too much. I was short on money and wanted to sell it fast, thats why I sold it for 1700$ (I had to pay 150$ for shipping).

The right price for a Fadel is around 2000$ depending on condition, model and year.

Another thing that affects the price of Fadels is that they are frequently faked, and thats a big problem, and some fakes are really good.
The biggest problem with Fadel ouds is that Mohammed Fadel didnt use a standard label, he had some different labels he used more or less.

When you buy a Fadel, make sure you get/have a certificate issued by Faiq Mohammed Fadel, or even better a certificate from M. Fadel himself, written before he died, that increases the value of the oud and distinguish it from the fakes.

Me and Ronny we are working on and soon will post some info on http://www.iraqi-oud.com about the labels used by Fadel and tips on how to check a Fadels genuinity.

Another thing that affects the price is wich year the oud was made, ouds from 1950-1960 are most expensive, specially the earliest Bashir models. The ouds from 1970ies are also more expensive, but they are the onces that are mostly faked, I saw lots of ouds that looked brand new but was dated to 1976 or so in Baghdad.

Regards
/Walid
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 08:50 AM
Thanks Walkad

Thanks Walkad for the information. I think I have one of the fakes, which I bought from Jordan. The label is that of M. Fadel, and even his signature is there on the oud. In addition, the oud looks exactly like other fadels and does sound amazing. hmmm, perhaps it is a fadel. J/K.

Anyway, 4500 dollars seems kinda high. I know they are not that expensive. The price u sold urs at was probably more representitive of the true selling value. I know they are sold for about 2000 dollars in the Gulf.

Once I did play on a real Fadel in Jordan. I will never forget how it sounded. It was very plain, with no drawings/colors. Perhaps this is why I love the plain models so much. I can't get over how it sounded.

Chris
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 08:53 AM
Older Oud

When I bought my oud, there was another oud at the store which they claimed was for M. Fadel. The sound on that oud was something out of this world. it was so damn old, and infact, it was ugly looking (even though M. Fadel made his ouds with very nice designs, but this one was different). They wouldn't negotiate the price for that oud, which is why I think it is genuine.

With the other ouds, they had no problem bringing down the price down to the half (even though they said, they were also fadels). but not that one. I wanted to buy it, but dad/uncil insisted on the other newer one which I bought.

Chris
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 07:38 PM

Hi guys

1 question, does anybody know how many Oud that Mehd Fadhel build (real & brand new) few years before he died? How come it is still around for so many all over the middle east? He been gone for about 7 years now right? Im sure all the real one are gone by now.

Salam
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 01:27 AM

Zul,
Fadel have been doing ouds sence 1931. I've heard that he made more than 6000 ouds under his career.
I think he died in the beginning of 2001 or the end of 2000, not sure.
6000 ouds in 70 years means almost 1.6 ouds per week, did he made them all by himself? no, he had many apprentices beside his own sons. Fadel have produced many greate oudmakers like Maan al-basri, Abdel Moeen, Iyad Al-Aswad and Yosef Awwad not to forget his sons Yaroub, Faiq, Faleh and Omar.

You can still find genuin Fadels in iraq, the hard thing is to know if its an original. The best thing to do if you are buying an oud in iraq is to ask the seller if you can provide a cert from Faiq, if he cant then you can be sure its a fake.

Regards
/Walid
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 08:00 AM

Hey guys,

Yeah, I read the last couple of posts and decided to delete them. No disrespect to any of you, but sharing rumors in a public forum might not be the best thing to do. Thanks for mentioning that they were indeed "rumors" though. I hope you all don't mind.

Thanks,
Mike

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 08:02 AM

Hey Mike

Anything for you man :D
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 08:03 AM

Thanks Zul. :wavey:

walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-12-2005 at 05:07 AM

Hi Mike,
I understand very well that you deleted that post and you did the right thing, what I wrote wasnt appropriate. But let me explain one thing.

I think only the iraqis understand how big Fadel is in iraq, he's a well known celbrity in iraq, all comon pple knows him (not only oud players and musicians).
The facts, M. Fadel had a tragical ending, he died broke and with no home, he sometimes slept in Yosef Awwads workshop!!

As a said, Fadel is a celebrity in iraq, his tragic fate creates rumors on why he ended like this.
One reason I am sure of is more than 10 years of sanction and isolation (it was forbidden to take Fadel ouds outside iraq!!) was devastating for iraqi luthers (well actually it was devastating for iraqi pple generally).

Regards
/Walid
ethnicjazz
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 11:53 AM

Hello, Salam Alaikou:
I agree that it was very expensive. As amusician, interested in sound and the performance of the instrument, I won't buy it for that much. I know one thing that his family were upset to let go a part of the iraqi heritage. This guy is a film maker and he bought it for that reason. Right now, he's touring a couple of festivals in the Middle East, he latest documentary is called "Where is Iraq? " ; it made a fuzz here and in the states.
Now, I am not the one who sold the oud. The owner sold it by him self. He sold it here in Canada and he delivered it himself. he propably made a little deal when delivering the oud, I didn't see him since he came to pick it up. One more clarification, the price was in canadian dollars.
I hope that I am answering your question and I am sorry about the delay.
Mohamed Masmoudi
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 05:46 PM
Fadel Ouds

Hi Guys,
I have a Oud made by Mahammad Fadel Hussein on 1980. Well, the label inside it it says that. Someone bought it for me from Damsacus a few years ago and I had to get it rebuilt by a violin expert in Houston. It sounds great and the workmanship is well-done. However, it does not have the yellow certificate I saw on the one posted on Ebay. I am sure if it is not fake, it will cost much more than the one on Ebay. I am not selling it, but just need to know. Can anyone advise?
Thanks,
Hatem
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 03:16 AM

Hatem,
Fadel started to use those yello labels after 1990 I think, not sure of the exact date. So if your oud is from 1980 and doesnt have the yellow label, then everything is in order.

Regards
/Walid
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 05:04 PM
Thanks Walid

Thanks Walid. You definitely made my day!
I really love that oud and the technician in Houston was impressed with the workmanship. It is very light and sounds great.
Thanks again for your reply.
Hatem

Go To Top