Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Arabic music and flamenco between Al-Andalus and Reconquista
Voraxx
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 11:35 AM
Arabic music and flamenco between Al-Andalus and Reconquista

Hello,

I joined to this community because I was searching for some answers to my questions, but I found nothing and at least I landed here and I hope you can help me.

I have some questions about arabic music between the 8th and the 16th century.
That was the time between Al-Andalus and the Reconquista of the Iberian Peninsula (today's Spain and Portugal).
I just want to know if someone here has any literature, any sources of information to these topics:

-Ziryab, the arabic Oud-master, composer and music tutor;
-the arabic music of the aforesaid era (700-1500), maybe some hyperlinks to traditional arabic music on Youtube, referring to the literature;
-some literature treating of the history of arabia/arabic music and some literature treating of the arabic music system.

I was searching and searching, but I found less than I expected...neither in the internet, nor in the public library in my hometown.
I hope you can help me, I need that information to write my term paper for school.

Thank you for reading and maybe for helping =)
Voraxx

PS:
I'm from germany, it would be very nice if the sources you name are german, english or spanish, because these are all languages I speak.
PPS:
It's very important, that the information is scientifically documented and that it is correct and safe.
Information of scientifically non-safe material is inoperative and useless for me!
For example: The information of Wikipedia is not safe, because anybody can write anything into the articles. The bibliography at the bottom of the articles, by contrast, are very very useful because of giving safe, scientific information. So please, give me any book-/albumtitles!
michoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mooud again..

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 12:04 PM

Hola Voraxx.
Dificíles preguntas las tuyas, hay algún libro que habla sobre la música árabe en Al Andalus, pero casi todo son conjeturas de diferentes musicólogos, unos a favor de que la influencia árabe en nuestra música fue decisiva otros que no...tema difícil. Ya te escribiré los títulos de 1 o dos libros interesantes...pero no te aseguro que los datos sean exactos puesto que depende desde que lado se cuenten, cambian.
Respecto a incluir en el titulo del post música árabe y flamenco...realmente no creo que tengan tanta relación como mucha gente dice, es cierto que tienen algunos elementos comunes o parecidos, pero no hay que olvidar que los gitanos llegaron al norte de la península Ibérica sobre 1425, ya muy al final de lo que fue Al Andalus.
Seguro que cuando los gitanos se fueron extendiendo por la península, tendrían contacto con moriscos, y con músicos que aquí quedaron que tocaban música, digamos "hispano musulmana", ya que después de tantos siglos de reinos árabes, la influencia cultural era total en muchas partes de la península.
Pero aún con eso, el flamenco tiene más elementos comunes con cualquier música tradicional realizada por gitanos, en cualquier parte del mundo, que con lo que actualmente conocemos como música árabe.
Kelly
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 01:48 PM

Hi Yoraxx

The person who springs to mind who may be a good source if you've not already contacted is Jordi Saval and Hespereon XX

He and his group have championed this fertile period though perhaps more from a Christian tradition and repertoire as have members of Radio Tarifa. There is also an interesting cross over and shared heratige with Shepardic tradition also. Just some thoughts for avenues of enquiry

Kelly
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 12:55 AM

Welcome. If you can manage French, there's d"Erlanger's "La Musique Arabe" the first 3 volumes of which are very relevant to your interests and can be downloaded as PDF scans. These contain several of the most important original treatises (from 9th century on) translated from Arabic. I believe there's no English translation of d"erlanger's whole work, but some of the treatises maybe ... not sure.

In English there's Marcus' 1989 "Arab music theory in the modern period" that has references you might find useful, modern being a relative term.

DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 02:16 AM

Hi

In addition to d'Erlanger, Farmer's "A history of Arabian Music" concentrates on the period from the rise of Islam to around the 13thC and gives a summary of the main historical texts, plus some analysis from a "modern" perspective. It's a bit dated but still in print, published by an indian publisher - Goodword books.

But i'd agree with Michoud. Under this very attractive notion of the golden age of Al-Andalus, it's possible to over-romanticise the links between medieval arabic music and modern Flamenco, which only really originated in the 19thC.

DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 02:32 AM

PS I see the complete D'Erlanger 6 volume set is available through abebooks from a bookseller in France at nearly £500. I was lucky enough to get it second hand a couple of years ago for £80.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 06:47 AM

You might also try the Muslim Heritage site under 'music science' at

http://www.muslimheritage.com

Go To Top